Traveling with Camera Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I usually carry on everything except the tray & handle. Occasionally, on the return, I'll put the case in with the checked gear bag.

Used to pack solidly in a hard Underwater Kinetics case - locked and checked. With TSA in the mix, I've had to change strategies. TSA have the right to inspect, but they have no idea about the camera gear and just jammed the stuff back in. After sustaining damage to several pieces of equipment, I placed a note in the case with my cell phone #, saying I'd be glad to repack - as expected, it had no effect. I took to carrying on. The UK case is too difficult and heavy (averaged 37#) to carry through multiple airports. I found that the divider set - including the top and bottom foam - fit perfectly in an old roller carry-on that we had laying around. Works perfect. Looks just like any other carry-on, but holds everything securely. TSA still inspects 90% of the time, but I am there to repack. Only thing that doesn't fit is my dome port. Found a nice Rubbermaid container that fits perfect and I pack that in my dive bag. BTW - packing SLR hsg, 2 strobes, ports, arms, cords, etc.

2009-08-29 001 copy.jpg

I can fit my d90 stuff, lens,nexus housing, ports, inonz240 stobes and ML arms, etc into a Tamrac SLR back pack as shown in the pic. Total weight 10kg , it just bearly fits the allowed measurements for carry on luggage with in Australia and major over seas air flights.
I've had it checked and past ok at our major air port , no one at security on domestic flights has asked me to open the pack for inspection but it would be easy to open and show if neccessary.
Although i think the NEXUS stuff is a little more compact and lighter than most brands.

Hi H20MAN211:

What type of rig do you have? If you have a a big DSLR rig like mine, I have a carry on Porter Case that contains my Subal housing, one D300 body, ultralite arms, two Ikelite strobes, two batteries, chargers for strobes and camera, flat port, extension rings, 60 mm lens, 12-24 mm lens, 10-17 mm lens, spare O rings, and cleaning supplies. I check my second body, dome port, 105 mm port, and 105 mm lens.

TSA looks at my carry on about 20% of the time, which is actually pretty ridiculous when you consider how powerful the batteries are. West coast of the US is great, Miami is aweful. Checked baggage is almost always checked because of dive knife and pony bottle, not camera gear.

If you have a smaller rig, congratulations! You can carry it on the plane pretty easily.

Have Fun,

Dan

I use a Lowpro Vertex 300 AW. Takes my E-3, Nexus Housing, 8mm fisheye, 2 x Z 240's, Focus lights, 170mm Dome, 50mm Macro port, Extension rings, Laptop, chargers for FIX light + camera batteries + AA batteries, strobe arms (locline) plus a few other bits 'n pieces. I'm going to try a Slingshot 200 for my spare body, 50-200, 12-60, 7-14, topside flash, CF cards as well.

I will never check photo gear in again as on my last trip my luggage was delayed untill the day before the trip was over. It had my strobe arms and port extensions in it, limiting my use of the camera to an 8mm FE, natural light for the whole trip.

I never put any camera gear in check-in luggage. Eventually somewhere there is a "baggage gorilla" that will damage it.

A lot depends on where you are traveling to. A lot of foreign airlines limit your carry-on to 1 item at 7 kilos and check-in at 15 kilos. Excess check-in baggage fees can be pricey.

Soft cases are best for weight purposes. I gave up on hard cases long ago because they weigh too much empty and drew too much attention from airline personnel.

One note: We pack a large DSLR and Video systems in backpacks and till recently never had a problem. Last trip when checking in with Qantas they made us put the backpacks on the scale and of course they are double the weight allowed, had to repack everything. The agent said they are going to start weighing all carry-ons.

I'm using the Pelican rolling case that is the size of the typical carryon pullman. So far, no issues, tho I did have to pay extra for it on Air Tahiti. I prefer the Pelican to a normal softside pullman in the event I have to gate check, which has happened a few times.

I always carry-on my camera gear, computer and main regulator. I've seen too many times luggage didn't make it the same day. I had a friend fly to Florida for a Nekton trip on friday, the boat left saturday and his gear arrived on monday. He was able to rent gear saturday morning from a local dive shop. A straight flight without any connections is your best bet to get everything at once but if you make several connections (especially if you change airlines along the way) then there's a good chance your stuff might not make it that day. Also take insurance for the full replacement value of your stuff because most airlines only cover lost luggage at $100 - $200 per bag ...... a lot less than you spent on the stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom