Traveling with a Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ding dang

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
It pains me to actually write this, but I need to ask, just in case. I've had TONS of stuff taken away by the TSA, some of which I saw for sale after the security checkpoint... The last thing I need is some guy from Queens taking my backplate, or any other expensive-looking stuff.

Has anyone ever had trouble traveling with a backplate in a carry-on bag? I'm planning on putting it, and all my other important dive gear, in my backpack. The plate fits pretty well right up against the back of the pack, so there's good room for everything, and it's somewhat concealed (not to the machines, unfortunately).

I am, however, worried about the TSA's nonsensical crap regulations. Of course, the plate is:

1. heavy
2. sharp on edges
3. looks like an epic viking shield
4. could probably chop some heads off

I know the CCR guys go through hell, but I'm more worried about the simple things!

If they give you any crap... just chop their heads off! :D Just kidding! .... Hey, why are there a lot of flashing lights outside my window??? :police:

The last time I carried on my BP (2008) I got no grief from anyone. They were WAY more interested in my canister light! Most recently, I checked my backplate and only carried on regs and can light, and got grief from TSA on the return trip, but they still let me on.

It seems it's up to the discretion of the TSA employee, so you might consider letting the xray operator know that there's a mess of dive gear in the bag in advance, so they know what they're looking at.

Always have my plate in hand luggage, never had an issue with it

You have seen YOUR gear for sale after the security checkpoint? Did you buy it back? Did they at least give you a deal on it?

It pains me to actually write this, but I need to ask, just in case. I've had TONS of stuff taken away by the TSA, some of which I saw for sale after the security checkpoint... The last thing I need is some guy from Queens taking my backplate, or any other expensive-looking stuff.

Has anyone ever had trouble traveling with a backplate in a carry-on bag? I'm planning on putting it, and all my other important dive gear, in my backpack. The plate fits pretty well right up against the back of the pack, so there's good room for everything, and it's somewhat concealed (not to the machines, unfortunately).

I am, however, worried about the TSA's nonsensical crap regulations. Of course, the plate is:

1. heavy
2. sharp on edges
3. looks like an epic viking shield
4. could probably chop some heads off

I know the CCR guys go through hell, but I'm more worried about the simple things!

What do you think they could have a problem with other than weight? It is a chunk of steel. I do not think you will have an issue but I personally have way too much carry on stuff to include a BP too.

I carry my entire kit on board including regs, wing, ss plate, computer, etc. I pack the small knife and small emt shears. Have never had a problem but that may not mean much.

I have carried my steel backplate onboard in my carry-on luggage and never had any questions from TSA or problems.

That being said, TSA officers hav a lot of leeway in determining what that can confiscate. I suggest carrying a copy of TSA regulations regarding scuba gear as your best defense.

Next time, I am going to wear by backplate under my jacket and call it a "back brace." That way I can carry even more stuff onboard in my carry-on bag.

I carry on my backplate and regulators. I tell them this is dive gear and no dive knives are included. One TSA agent in San Antonio wanted to swab my backplate and another in Cozumel wanted to double check my gear to ensure no knives.

My general rule of thumb is if you think something would raise a flag and you can carry it on, then do so.

Backplates aren't prohibited as carry on --but anything can happen.

A trick --get to the airport early. If the worst happens, you will still have time to go check your bag.

Jeff

Flying domestically in the US out of SFO, LAX and HNL, I've had no problem getting ALL of my gear into a single carry-on. That's about...ahem...50+lbs of stuff in a roller (I guess that's one way to get around the check-in weight limits).

The backplate will always trigger a detailed inspection since they can't x-ray through it, but most of the time, as soon as the agent sees it's scuba stuff, they instantly relax.

Back
Top Bottom