Traveling to Seattle in Aug

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajk

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi everyone. I'm traveling to seattle for a week in late August. I've never been diving in the NW so I'm not sure what to expect, Dive conditions mostly. I'm not dry suit certified, will a 7mm suit be good? Please share any other tips too! or if you want to share your favorite dive site that would great!!
Thank you!

In August, the water will likely be in the mid 50's, and people do dive it in 7 mm wet suits. Visibility varies -- At that time of year, you can have fairly poor viz if the cycle of algae blooms is at the crest, or you can have windows of excellent viz during the die-offs. Puget Sound is pretty protected water, so you don't have to deal with surf entries. We have a lot of easily accessible shore diving, but a lot depends on where in the Seattle area you will be staying, and what the exact dates of your trip are. Some of our best sites are current-sensitive and must be dived on slack, or on days with small tidal exchanges.

Pretty standard sites, and diveable in most conditions, are the Coves at Alki and the underwater park at Edmonds. I like to take visitors and people new to me to the Alki Pipeline, which has more life than the Coves and is also not very current-sensitive.

Give us a holler when your trip is closer, and I'm sure we can find you some locals to take you out and show you some of our good sites.

Thanks for the tips, I was worried that temps would be to cold for a wet suit. I've read up on the edmonds underwater park, sounds like an interesting place and so does the Alki pipelines. Thanks again and I might just take you up on that when the trip gets closer.

The only thing about Edmonds are the BIG FISH if your in the tacoma area and want to dive around here give me a shout and 7 mm no worries it was 32degrees out when i did open water in 7mm. Diving teh Pacific Northwest you cant explane it you have to do it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom