Traveling to Manila on Business Early November - Looking for a dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm in the same situation as the OP. I will be heading to PI for 2-4 weeks for a project in Manila and I plan to spend every weekend diving. If I can make it work at the end of the trip I will stay for another week to dive on one of the islands (probably Coron, but I get ahead of myself). Based on this thread, it looks like Subic is my best bet. Anilao looks hard (a.k.a. expensive) to get to and I've been to Puerto Galera twice (back in '96 and '98).

My specific questions are:
1. How much gear does it make sense to bring to PI? This isn't primarily a dive trip. I would end up brining a backplate since my regular BCD developed a leak in the LP inflator. I don't fit into my wetsuit anymore :) and I don't think a drysuit is appropriate.
2. What is the best way to dive for the itinerant like me? Find a buddy, rent gear (assuming I don't bring it), and hop in the water or go through a dive shop/charter? Any recommendations?
3. What are the nice hotels in Subic? While on the project, the company is paying for my hotels. All other expenses are mine. The company pays reasonable rates for hotels based on US prices, which gives me a lot of options in the PI.

Thanks!
Q

Q:

1. Rental gear in Subic is typically of a very high standard. It's never bad to dive in your own, familiar, stuff though. Water temp is ~30 celcius... you definitely won't need a drysuit. At most a 3mm or shorty. Many dive in shorts and rash guard though. Wetsuit can make sense for some abrasion protection on the wrecks.

2. Dive centers at Subic are small and very friendly. There's no issues with showing up and taking a charter trip. Harbor regulations stipulate all dives must be led by a dive center/approve DM/Guide/Instructor anyway. I like Johans, Blue Rock, Boardwalk and Arizona. I hang out at Arizona a lot for diving.

3. If someone were paying my hotel costs, I'd stay at Wild Orchid. Otherwise, I'd be at Arizona, Blue Rock, Sheavans or Harleys.

Thank you DevonDiver. I owe you a beer.

Wild Orchid it is. I will probably bring some gear.

There is some great information here plus on your website with easy instructions for traveling to Subic Bay.

I arrive in PI on the 18th, but don't expect to make it to Subic until the 23rd.

Thanks again.
Q

Sent using Tapatalk 2

I should be around Subic from the 24th onwards for a few days, running some wreck training. Feel free to drop me a line if you want to have a beer.

Nomad, Sorry I missed you while we were both in town. I didn't get a notification from SB about new posts in this thread until after I was already back in Shanghai. Hope you had some good dives while in Subic.

Andy - I saw you a few times, but did not want to interrupt your Tec40 class -- I will definitely be trying to convince the wife that a technical sidemount class with you in Subic is not a crazy idea. Thanks for the pointers to Arizona, had a blast. Will be writing up more of an official trip report in the thread where I originally asked for suggestions.

Does anyone have Coffeeshop rooftop hotel's DIRECT e-mail?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom