Traveling question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jepuskar

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok, I'm searching for a dive buddy to go to Bonaire with. Obviously I want to have double occupancy to save money.

I think I am more apt to find a guy to go with because some women might get the wrong idea, especially since we will be sharing the same room. I'm sure it all depends on the person, but I would like some female thoughts on this subject!

Have you been in a similiar situation or under what conditions would you meet with some strange guy to dive with for a week or so? I'm curious!

Thanks,

jason

Aren't ya'll going on this trip together?

I'm debating what to do. I planned on going in late January, but I guess I could go early January....hmmmm

I figured late Jan. would give someone enough time to get time off of work etc etc.

I'm looking into it though....

Thanks Dee.

Jason

jepuskar once bubbled...
Have you been in a similiar situation or under what conditions would you meet with some strange guy to dive with for a week or so? I'm curious!

I think that you're correct in the assumption that you will probably have an easier time finding a guy to share accomodation with on a dive vacation - but I don't know if it's so much someone getting the wrong idea about sharing a room, it's just a personal safety issue - not unlike your parents telling you never to pick up hitchhikers. If I were considering going on a dive trip with someone I didn't know, it wouldn't be so much that I would think the guy "expected" something, it's just that he is a virtual stranger.

Of course there are so many variables - are you a complete stranger or is your potential buddy someone who belongs to a dive club you are also a member of and you have a passing acquaintance with, a friend of a friend, etc.

I've wondered about this also, as I don't have a regular buddy. With the "dive community" being in general so friendly and helpful, does that play a part in relaxing your guard as opposed to your day to day activities? How do other women regard "personal safety" when diving with someone they don't really know - do you prefer to meet the guy at the dive site? Are you willing to ride in one car to/from the site?

Jason:

Just my .02, but I strongly believe men and women can co-exist sharing living space in a purely platonic realm. Now, am I saying 'sure I'll meet you where ever and share a room for a week'? Absolutely not! I would suggest meeting, perhaps diving together a couple times, hanging out, establish the ground rules well before trip.
When young w/ no $$ to support my skiing habits, I worked weekend bus ski trips. Often I was thrown into rooming with strangers, both men and women and never had a problem. Personally (rant here!) I prefer living with men, usually less time in bathroom, and have never shown up wearing my clothes. Maybe just my bad experiences w/ women.
Chepar - I don't know if it is relaxing your guard or trusting your instincts. I don't think I'd buddy with someone I wasn't willing to ride in a car with. Again, I'd want to stage meetings over a period of time before the trip.
Maybe my attitude is because I travel frequently for business. I also manage properties & will meet potential tenants to show properties. So to that extent I am used to having to meet/deal with strangers.
Jason, Bonaire in Feb sounds great, good luck! My guy friends always told me they found it much easier to meet women while traveling with one. Once you establish you are not a 'couple' the women they were trying to meet tended to view them as more understanding and somehow safer.
Linda

Veru good points brought up. I have been thinking about whether I would prefer a guy or a woman and right now I cant honestly say which...I dont care, as long as they enjoy diving and want to dive as much or more than me.

Either scenario has its advantages..either way, I would ideally like to get to know the person as much as possible before the trip..either via email, phone conversations, meeting if possible..stuff like that. If we both know what the other expects, as far as diving and accomodations..then there shouldnt be a problem.

My biggest thing is hopefully not being stuck with a dud. I am the type of person who can relate to the immature O-rings out there to the maturity of someone who is all business.

Ofcourse, looking at the whole women/guy issue...I could easily flip this around and room with some guy who turns out to like me...and i mean LIKE me. ohh boy!!!

Jason:
This is actually a good subject for the Women's forum. I'm proud of you. Looking forward to hearing more responses also.

:wavey:

The basic rule is that good diving buddies are hard enough to find that plumbing is not a factor. The last thing anyone should worry about is screwing up the relationship with a good dive buddy by screwing them, unless of course the mutual intention is to KEEP the team together full time!

Other matters mean much more. Like compatible air consumption, is the buddy fluent in "regulator" speech, can they deal with a similar menu, and are the dive objectives compatible. The secondary items are things like snoring and can they help you get a wetsuit off without getting freezing hands on warm body parts!

FT

First off....Fred.. "that plumbing is not a factor"...hahaha too funny!!

Ok, now on to Natasha....you act surprised that I can actually produce something useful to this board? Ok, ok...with my past..I dont blame you, but this is a serious matter. I am in need of a dive buddy, but not only a dive buddy, but a traveling buddy at that. Does the plumbing really matter? I dont think so..Im out to dive...in the water only. If someone wants to dive 3-5 times a day..we gonna get along just fine!! :)

I promise to try and contribute more useful information to Scubaboard in the future. (fingers crossed)

Jason

For a week-long liveaboard during the summer, I turned up on the boat at two in the morning (after a five hour plane journey and a rather scary four-hour drive on deserted Egyptian roads). The operators informed me that due to defective air conditioning and a shortage of rooms, I had to share a cabin with a man.

If I were the fussy type, I would have voiced objections but there was nothing that could've been done and neither I nor my male cabinmate was about to have our holiday soured by this sort of thing.

There are obvious inconveniences such as shower rotas but with some basic consideration and politeness, male/female sharing of quarters shouldn't be a problem.

I was told by the operators that this sort of mixup happens all the time.

Back
Top Bottom