Traveling from the USA to Canada

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ID diver

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hello,
I want to drive from the Washington area to British Columbia and bring my own cylinders. I have checked the archives for other posts on this topic but was only able to find topics several years old or older. Has anyone crossed the border from the USA to Canada and back with their own cylinders? Is it a problem? I don't want to have to take my cylinders apart to show they only contain air.

Thank you for your help.

I've done the reverse -MANY- times and have never had a problem. That said, BC Ferries seems to have an issue with cylinders marked 'nitrox', so if you're coming over to the island keep that in mind.

If they don't have Transport Canada stamps on them you might have an issue filling them. Supposedly.

If you can, take the valves out and plug them with plastic screw caps.

I've gone back and forth to Tobermory, Ontario without any issues.

If they don't have Transport Canada stamps on them you might have an issue filling them. Supposedly.

If you can, take the valves out and plug them with plastic screw caps.

I think taking the valves off is overkill and hopefully it won't come down to that in the future. When I lived in Ontario I'd occasionally buy equipment in Detroit. One such visit yielded two faber LP85s. I was out of room in my car so I put them on the front seat, strapped in with the seatbelt. I sure got some strange looks from the customs agent.

I've driven across the BC/US border a few times with tanks, no questions asked, just be honest with Canada Customs and tell them "you are bringing in personal gear to do some scuba diving" and nothing more.

If you are planning travel on BC Ferries give this a read -> BC Ferries - British Columbia Ferry Services Inc. - Experience the Difference

The UN number for compressed air is 1002 ->List of UN numbers 1001 to 1100 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I've driven on with scuba tanks, not a problem as we were loaded first which means first off when you dock.

Bon voyage!!!

Hello,
I want to drive from the Washington area to British Columbia and bring my own cylinders. I have checked the archives for other posts on this topic but was only able to find topics several years old or older. Has anyone crossed the border from the USA to Canada and back with their own cylinders? Is it a problem? I don't want to have to take my cylinders apart to show they only contain air.

I go probably a half dozen times each summer and have never had any problems with anything in either direction.

Legally, there's no problem I'm aware of bringing in SCUBA cylinders, however customs on either side can certainly demand to look inside if they feel like it.

Terry

you may want to stop and get a customs form that says you already own them when you cross over the first time...so they dont try to charge you import duty to get back home! as a Canadian I have all my gear, by serial number , listed on the canadian customs 'green card'[ not a work visa green card lol] to avoid hassel on the way back into canada. dont have to worry about "did yo buy this over border? prove it!" other than that they have the right to ask to see inside, but have never heard of it happening.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom