Traveling Fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adamp69

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Im looking to purchase a new set of fins for travelling and warm water diving. I love using my jet fins with springs, but they're a little heavy for travelling. plus i want to purchase some small, low cut neoprene boots. so my XXXL jet fins that fit my drysuit boots nicely, aren't going to work. I had split fins, and i did like the maneuverability and ease of kick, i had trouble frog kicking and backing up.

so....whats an all round good, light weight fin and boot setup for travelling? thanks

This comes up regularly and there are several recent threads on the topic. I'll give you the short version, open heel, of fins to look at, Aeris Accel, Hollis F2s and Aqualung Hotshots. I've used the Aeris and Hollis and would recommend both. The Hollis has huge foot pockets which can be a problem to some with small feet. Although never tried them I'm not a fan of the Hotshots, the four "power bands" are sold as spare parts which leads me to believe they break, IMO not the best for a travel fin. The Hollis fins are IMO the most robust of the three. The Aeris the lightest. Some people like full foot fins for travel but personally I like wearing boots as when traveling sometimes find myself needing to walk to site. Good luck.

oh wow. had no idea hollis made that fin. my local lds carries mostly mares and cressi. they look great! how are they sized tho? i have a size 11 foot, but like i said, my jet fins are XXXL. i just wanna wear a small wet boot in them. or at the most, my 5mm wetsuit boots. but i'd love to pick up a short, light wet boot, with a good sole. any suggestions?

oh wow. had no idea hollis made that fin. my local lds carries mostly mares and cressi. they look great! how are they sized tho? i have a size 11 foot, but like i said, my jet fins are XXXL. i just wanna wear a small wet boot in them. or at the most, my 5mm wetsuit boots. but i'd love to pick up a short, light wet boot, with a good sole. any suggestions?

With bigger feet you'd likely get a good fit out of the F2s. If they fitted me they would be my number once choice for a travel fin, small, light, pack well and very robust. I had to sell them due to bad fit hence moving onto the Accels, which are also a nice fin I just liked the F2s better, personal preference and all that.

yeah i'm sold on the hollis F2s. thanks. and FBK thats the type of boot i'm looking for. i have a pair of aqualung water shoes, but the fins chaff my heel because the boots dont come up high enuf. just need something A little taller.

I have Hollis F2 fins. They are fantastic! They are derived from the APS Manta Rays. I've taken them on several dive trips in the Caribbean. They are small but have reasonable power for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom