Traveling Digital Storage Recommendations needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A iPod would work well. They have lots of storage but a smallish screen. Apple and others make a device that connects an iPod to a camera. An of course the iPod doubles as an entertainment device.

But I think a better idea is to simply put the notebook in the checked bagage. Use a Pelican case if you are worried about damage and buy insurance. In fact put all your breakable stuff in the pelican case and check it. The notbook is the best option because it lets you run your post processing workflow on-site.

That Epson is still the most beautiful one out there.

But...a laptop is more than storage! One of the fabulous things about digital is that you can review your images right away and make any necessary adjustments to your shooting plans. Nothing short of a display screen (laptop) is going to show you those subtle details like crisply nailed focus etc. How tragic to think you've been getting great stuff only to come home, put them on the computer and find that things don't look nearly as good as they did in the teeny screen of your camera or storage device.

Just something to think about...

I do the ipod thing - I only use 512 MB cards and that pretty much uses up the battery. I don't travel that much and I wanted an Ipod anyways, so it does decent double duty. All depends on how much you're planning to use it for a photo backup - some of the other options would have faster transfer rates and power usage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom