Traveling Digital Storage Recommendations needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

victor

Contributor
Reaction score
Recommendations needed.

On what do you backup your pictures when you are traveling? :confused:

I don’t want to haul my laptop onto the plane as well as my camera, housing, regs, and dive computer, as this might be pushing the new hand luggage restrictions.

You could use an external hard drive with built in reader like the Epson P2000 pictured below, they are kind of expensive though. There are other similar drives, but the epson units are highly favored. If you already own an ipod photo you can get a card reader for it.

I love my 40gig Epson P-2000. I use it to back up photos, show photos like a digital photo album, and play ripped DVDs while on the airplane. It will even play MP3s although the quality and interface are lacking. It has slots for SD and CF cards, or you can use a CF-to-whatever adaptor. I bought a spare battery to give me plenty of juice for in-flight entertainment. The screen has a 640 x 480 resolution which is about the best out there. It’s a little heavy, but I appreciate the extra features. There’s nothing like showing the photos at dinner after a day of diving. I even take my ProShow Gold photo slide shows and save them as an appropriate movie format for playing on the Epson. I’ve had it for about two years and its still impressive.

David

I use a "Wolverine." B&H photo sells them, among others. They have models from 40GB up to 100GB or so. They start at around $200 or less. Expensive, but less so than extra flash and way less so than losing one of a kind photos.

Regarding the iPod solution, research it carefully. I know the last time I looked, yes it worked but was so slow as to be useless. Draining a 1GB card exceeded the battery life of the iPod (hours). You don't want that.

Plus other people can download to it (several connection types), you can play back to a TV, and some versions have a viewer built in. They are well worth the price and take up a lot less room than a laptop.

vondo:
I use a "Wolverine." B&H photo sells them, among others. They have models from 40GB up to 100GB or so. They start at around $200 or less. Expensive, but less so than extra flash and way less so than losing one of a kind photos.

Dan Gibson:
Plus other people can download to it (several connection types), you can play back to a TV, and some versions have a viewer built in. They are well worth the price and take up a lot less room than a laptop.
The one I have has no view or TV connection, but being able to grab someone else's pictures is very handy.

I checked on the Epson mentioned ($450). This is the one I have http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...s&Q=&sku=367685&is=REG&addedTroughType=search
$140 after rebate. There are lots of others in the category.

victor:
Recommendations needed.

On what do you backup your pictures when you are traveling? :confused:

I don’t want to haul my laptop onto the plane as well as my camera, housing, regs, and dive computer, as this might be pushing the new hand luggage restrictions.

Last trip I took, I found a local Walmart and had them put the pics on a CD for me. I did it in a Staples store once too. I don't remember what they charged but it was sure less than $200

I have a friend who swears by his little CD burner toy he bought. Has a built in card reader, and burns a CD direct from your memory card. Only holds 700mb, but that may only be a problem if you fill up 1gb+ cards on every dive. I know they make a DVD version also that would solve that problem, even, although it's a little more money. I think he paid $120 for it, or something along those lines. It's barely larger than your average CD walkman.

For me, though, I would just bring a laptop. Cuz I'm that type of guy. :wink:

I use the Sony Photovault. Burns to miniture CDs and has a battery attachment as well as power cord. It will also play to a TV and has USB connection for download to computer. Less the 200 bucks at Wolf Camera.

I believe this is the one we have.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...s&Q=&sku=408290&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

I can't remember the price as it's been some time since we purchased it.

It's great for groups when eveyone wants to combine all picture to burn on a CD once you get home.

vondo:
The one I have has no view or TV connection, but being able to grab someone else's pictures is very handy.

I checked on the Epson mentioned ($450). This is the one I have http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...s&Q=&sku=367685&is=REG&addedTroughType=search
$140 after rebate. There are lots of others in the category.

Back
Top Bottom