Traveler's cheques

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

calhockey

Reaction score
Do business (dive shops, hotels, stores) accept traveler's cheques? Can they cash them into BZ$? Are there any fees involved? Do I get the straight 2:1 rate?

Thanks,

In our experience, bigger business accept them, smaller ones often not, and, as of a few years ago when we were in Belize, many charge extra if you use charge cards or traveler's checques. If you know ahead where you're planning to stay, ask ahead; we used a combination of cashier's checks, traveler's checques, VISA card, and cash.

It makes me feel better to have them with me because if I lost everything (including the checques, ATM card, charge card, cash) I could have the TCs replaced; it's worked for others but - gratefully - I've never had the need. I rarely use them in CA unless a Spanish school, dive shop, or lodging option requests them for payment or charges more if I use my VISA card since I don't like to pack around much cash; this happened 3 places on a recent trip to Honduras. What I don't use I just save for another trip, but you can cash them in at the bank when you get home if you'd rather.

Travelers' cheques? They still make traveler's cheques? I don't think we've used them since the mid 90's, nor have we needed them. Not specificly in Belize, but, everywhere else.

All the best, James

I own 3 retail stores - all in tourist areas, and we rarely even see traveler's checks anymore (maybe like once a month or less at all 3 stores combined).

If you're wanting to do something like that, I would suggest a visa gift card, where you can put a balance on it, and use it, or just keep the money in your bank account, and use your debit card. When you charge items in other countries, you get a better rate usually than the cash exchange rate from a bank or otherwise.

Some hotels may try to charge you a fee for using a CC, so check with them in advance.

I wouldn't advise an american express check card, becuase not everone takes amex.

Back
Top Bottom