Traveler vs. Eclipse/Infinity series

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On both the traveler and traveler pro the wing and delrin backplates are connected. The difference in the Pro is it has a dual bladder wing for added durability.

The cinch has a tendency to slip and you might find that your harness is no longer symmetric after a dive. What usually happens is you end up buying another set for your cold water/thick exposure suit dives :)

Mine has never slipped. I have the SS plate w/infinity harness, and that rig has been around the world more than once with zero issues. The extra couple lbs in my bag doesnt matter, I am still under the checked back weight limit easily....my carry on is the issue with new 7kg limits!

Persoanlly, I recommend Eclipse over infinity. Here is my reason:

1. I have no issue with cinch slipping, but I found I cant pull accurate enough everytime that the shoulder strap has the same length. The difference is small but annoying enough. I can adjust underwater, but since I have never has issue with fixed harness, so the cinch doesn't give me anything but annoyance. The cinch is now on my loaner plate.

2. The cinch add some thickness on the bottom. This is OK for single tank, but for double with 3/8 bolt, you will need longer bolt on the bottom. This makes moving the plate to other double (other people's) more difficult. The bolt extended is for 5/16 only. And the working range of the extended is very limited.

3. The backpad coverage is too big for easy access of the nuts. This is again double tank issue.

I like the shoulder pad if I use no suit, but this doesn't happen often enough. I also like canister light holder. These are not enough for me to pay for Infiniti.

Been diving for years and ready to try a BP/W setup. Dove with a DM recently on vacation and he loved his Halcyon. I am fully researching the line and having trouble deciding which way to go. 90% of my diving is now vacation tropical based with some local warm water dives per year. On vacation I use a 3mm wetsuit and the same or a 5mm locally. I know the traveler or pro version would more than handle all of that. Should I consider maybe going to an Eclipse or Infinity with an aluminum backplate (to keep travel weight down) for future upgradeability? I don't do any cold water diving now but don't want to rule it completely out either. Also from what I have read the difference between the traveler and pro is the wing on the pro is a bladder within the wing where the standard is one layer. Does that really add two pounds (5 vs. 7) or am I missing something else? Anyone that owns either series or both and travels would greatly appreciate some feedback.

If you want upgrade-ability, then choose either the Eclipse or Infinity.

Between Eclipse or Infinity, I'd say what's your body size. If your body is thick and big, get the Infinity (I'm not saying big size people cannot get in or out of the Eclipse, the Infinity actually makes it easier).

To counter the slip experience some users had experienced, don't over tight when putting it on.

One member faced the problem of having his backplate positioned symmetrically, I'd recommend that you only adjust through the right side. Have your LDS fit a tri-glide on your left post, that way your backplate will be more symmetrically positioned on your back when tightening it.

Of course when choosing the Eclipse/Infinity, be sure to choose the aluminum backplate since traveling is one of your consideration as well. Just buy a pair of trim weight pocket if you ever need more weight.

Ok I have to ask... since im looking at the traveler and eclipse system. The promo video on the website under traveler shows that 30lb wing taco'ing around the tank like there is no tomorrow. Is this because of the backplate integrated weights causing it to rise more or is it simply too wide of a wing?

I have the infinity.
Love the padding and the cinch.
Never had mine slip.
I also travel with it.
I have the ss plate but I don't travel with the weighted tank adapter.
13 pounds is what it weighs.
Same here - virtually all of my diving is travel (carribean) and the Infinity with SS plate is no problem. I diassemble it to pack (and, no - the padding does not make it harder to disassemble or reassemble). I've never had my harness slip in close to 50 dives - still perfectly symetrical. I also don't travel with the 6 lb STA weight. Having the 6 lb SS backplate is better for trim (and keeps weight close to the body) than loading up the weight pockets with extra weight and more convenient than trim pockets on the tank bands.

I have both the Traveler and the ALU backplate with the chinch. My (very personal) opinion
  • the chinch doesn't slip at all and can be easily fine-tuned in the water
  • I have removed all the paddings in both rigs, and I do not feel any difference, even with a 3mm or with a Sharkskin. Maybe is the bioprene natural padding...
  • a key advantage with the Traveler is that with the weights in the pockets it balances like a heavier plate
  • I find it easier to stow and carry the ALU backplate since can be separated from the wing and the STA
both are great choices!

Hello Jessmcquaid,
Thank you for your interest in Halcyon products. I think you have pretty much answered your own questions. The Traveler and Traveler Pro will definitely meet your needs, but for upgrade-ability you will want to look at the Eclipse or Infinity. The difference between the Traveler and Pro is in fact the wing. The Pro has a dual bag construction where the Traveler is just single bag construction. Yes the extra layer of bag material adds about 2 pounds. You have made the correct choice with an Aluminum plate for travel. The difference between the Eclipse and the Infinity are #1 The back plate pad kit and #2the Cinch kit. I personally use an Eclipse system with the cinch upgrade kit because I prefer the adjust-ability when getting out of my rig. I hope this answers your questions. If you would like to talk to me personally feel free to contact me at 800 425 2966 x 305 Ask for Ken

I'm confused with this comment regarding the upgrade-ability. I'm interested in the Traveler Pro for my trips, but I also want to be able to switch to a SS backplate for colder water dives.
Is it possible to replace the nylon backplate with an SS or ALU? If yes, would I need the STA?

thanks

jordi

I'm confused with this comment regarding the upgrade-ability. I'm interested in the Traveler Pro for my trips, but I also want to be able to switch to a SS backplate for colder water dives.
Is it possible to replace the nylon backplate with an SS or ALU? If yes, would I need the STA?

thanks

jordi

@HalcyonMFG hasn’t been seen here since 2015.

The nylon backplate of the Traveler Pro and Traveler are not separable from the wing AFAIK. That’s why for upgrade-ability like you want, you’ll need to look at the Eclipse or Infinity.

@HalcyonMFG hasn’t been seen here since 2015.

The nylon backplate of the Traveler Pro and Traveler are not separable from the wing AFAIK. That’s why for upgrade-ability like you want, you’ll need to look at the Eclipse or Infinity.

If you want to be able to change backplates - carbon fiber 1#, aluminum 2# , stainless 6# - then you need to purchase either the Eclipse or Infinity. The Traveler / Pro is a Nylon? plate and the wing is not modular. In other words the wing is not removable from the backplate.

This is where is gets a bit more complicated. Standard Halcyon backplates come with slots for cam bands and can be used without an STA if you get your wing retrofitted with cam slots. $50.00 retrofit. Intermediate size plates do not have slots for cam bands and one needs to use an STA. The Carbon Fiber Plus >1# standard size plate ( not sure about the intermediate size ) comes with the Cinch system and Tank Adaptor built into the plate and does not require an STA. If you want to use the other standard Halcyon backplates without an STA one probably needs to add some type of tank stabilizer in addition to getting Halcyon to add cam strap slots to the wing. DGX web site is down now but they sell a soft tank adapter that would work. I am not sure why some find an STA so bothersome. I use an STA ( less than a pound ) and find it easy to install and remove. I also like it because it moves the tank slightly father away from the plate giving my head a bit more space from my first stage. I had the Traveler system and I had a problem with the first stage being too close to my head not allowing me to bend my head up without hitting the first stage.

The last part of the equation is the wing size. It is available in 20#, 30# and 40# versions. Halcyon wings do taco. I don't understand what the problem is here but if it bothers you Halcyon may not be the best choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom