Suggestion Travel Safety ignored by most travel mags.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
K

KD

Registered
Reaction score
I have noticed that most travel and dive magazines do not pay attention to unrest and violence at various locations. For example in a recent dive mag there were articles about how great the Philippines and Indonesian islands are, yet there are some areas that are simply too dangerous for us to be in at both places. Some years there are a 1000 murders in Jamaca yet there are articles that mention nothing about being careful about where you go. There are several sites posted by the government on current situations in foreign countries that ScubaBoard ,as well as other dive/travel mags, could advise travelers to visit before planning a trip. I know mags are limited as to time frames on getting a mag out and current events. You can't simply say people should just be careful. It needs to be covered and you should have a site on current events.

KD:
It needs to be covered and you should have a site on current events.
KD,

unlike most travel magazines, our content is entirely user generated. That means YOU are in control over what trouble sites get reported. Make no doubt about it, you will find some people in any particular area resistant to discussing their issues and that's to be expected.

Also, unlike most travel magazines, we won't let our advertisers exert an undue influence over our content. Nope, the tail doesn't get to wag the dog here. Yes, we may go out of our way to alert a resort or region that they are being discussed here, but they don't get any more attention than any other user on our site.

You don't have to constantly do updates . I'm not either. I don't expect people to tell us how things are going in their region of the world. Just post web sites where people can go to check on what's happening so no one gets in a bind, and they could have you to thank.

As far as tail wagging it's not that you are falsely describing how nice a place is that you visited. I only get to take my family to one place every summer, after I save and work three jobs. I enjoy most places we go to. But I wonder if I'm treated the same as one that is there to do an article . When I read articles in mag they usually run " The head chief came to our table and said for us he was fixing his special meal", or the owner of a dive shop happens to be loose so that he personally can take the reporter to his favorite dive spot(s). It goes on and I am sure there is some pre-planning and you can't help that owners, chief and the rest want to make their best impressions. I would wonder how the article would go if you just slipped in quitely not letting anyone know who you are with. Would we not get a more accurate picture of how a traveler would be treated if they weren"t affiliated with free advertisement. You do mention where you were and how good they were. You are just stating the truth about your visit, but you were treated special. Its not that I find it wrong it's just that I may base my one trip on an article I have read, just to find the Chief on vacation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom