Travel insurance

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LynnB

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We are going to Provo in July. It’s not going to be a total dive trip but we do plan on diving some. We will have a 2 year old with us.
Apparently travel insurance is required and was wondering if DAN covers evacuation if sick with Covid. Any and all info on insurance would be greatly appreciated!
Lynn

In the UK, I always opt for an annual travel insurance plan for less than £80 a year, as it pays for itself in 2 trips, plus I keep DAN insurance for diving.

As someone who has needed medical attention a 3 or 4 times when overseas, including one instance which could have cost thousands and one hospital treatment (and almost admission) on NYE in Tokyo plus a couple of thefts which have been reimbursed I am always shocked that anyone would consider travel without insurance

Whatever travel insurance you consider, please do the following.
1. Take whatever information you get from an insurance salesperson over the phone with a huge grain of salt. Verify by doing #2 below.
2. Read and understand every sentence in the actual policy you are considering, looking for words or phrases that might enable to insurance company to disallow your claim.
3. Do not make any assumptions as to what is, or is not covered.
4. Remember these policies are written by lawyers whose job it is to protect the insurance company.
5. REREAD AND UNDERSTAND THE ENTIRE POLICY. This is something few people actually do, and is often a costly mistake.

These steps are time consuming and a pain in the butt, but may save you a lot of headaches and money should a claim need to be filed.

I offer Travelex. One of the best around.

Website Information Link: Liquid Diving Adventures - Insurance
At least they give a fairly straight answer on the subject of coverage if you test COVID-19 + during your trip and get stuck in quarantine awhile. From their site:

"What type of coverage would I have if I am quarantined while on my trip?

If you test positive for coronavirus while traveling, you will want to follow the doctor's orders on where to quarantine. You may quarantine in either a hospital, hotel, or vacation rental while on your trip and still be eligible for up to the trip delay benefit limit to help cover additional hotel and meal expenses as well as emergency medical and emergency evacuation coverage."

In the table up top, it looks like the vacation delay limit is $750 ($250/day). I haven't read that page in detail, so take with a grain of salt, but it sounds like it'd put up to $750 toward quarantine-related delays (and I don't know if any other features would address other costs, like rescheduling air travel). That's not a guarantee for 100% coverage if you're stuck an extra 10 days, or anything like that. I'm not knocking their coverage, just trying to understand it.

Quick question, @aquabluegreg on this subject:

"ADVENTURE SPORT
Why should I include the Adventure Sports Coverage upgrade in my policy?

While Travelex's Travel Select plan provide coverage for certain sports and adventures, sometimes you might need a little extra protection for activities not automatically covered in your plan. For trips that include activities such as mountain climbing, sightseeing by helicopter, and learning to fly, you are able to include the Adventure Sports Coverage upgrade as part of the Travel Select plan to help ensure you're adequately protected. With this upgrade, you can follow your adrenaline rush with extra peace of mind.

What does the Adventure Sports Coverage upgrade cover?

If you plan to venture off the beaten path during your next vacation, the Adventure Sports Coverage upgrade provides protection for certain activities that wouldn't otherwise be included in your base insurance plan. For example, if you plan to participate in sporting activities such as professional athletic events, mountain climbing, heli-skiing, parasailing, skydiving, and more, the Adventure Sports Coverage upgrade is a must-have to ensure you're protected.

Will I be covered for any adventure activities without this upgrade?

Travelex's Travel Select plan offer a basic level of coverage for certain activities. This includes scuba diving, kayaking, bungee cord jumping, skiing, canyoning, river rafting, snorkeling, horseback riding, hiking, and more. If your next trip involves any extreme sports or adventures outside what is automatically covered, it is recommended that you consider purchasing the Adventure Sports Coverage upgrade."

Do you just rely on the basic coverage for scuba trips, or upgrade to Adventure Sports Coverage, since it does mention a basic level of coverage for scuba diving?

Note: I'm aware insurance providers can change their plans at any time and whatever you report is for right now, not a year from now, etc...

I have found these folks to have good customer service. I am not an expert in the field of insurance and when I have a specific question, their customer service has the answers.

Scuba diving is covered in the Select policy and is likely understood to be what we would consider recreational diving. I suggest the add-on only if people are planning on tec dives at depth or dives that may expose them to additional risks. It is of course for the individual to decide. Here is the customer service info if you want to contact them directly.

Customer ServicePhone: 1-800-228-9792
8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. CST, Monday - Friday
customersolutions@travelexinsurance.com

How much travel insurance do I need? When I fill out the aggregator's estimate tool, it asks for the total cost of the trip. Air, hotel, diving will cost about $4,500.00, but I only put a deposit on the diving and I will get a full credit on the airfare from Delta. I will only be out about $1,500 if I need to cancel the trip. Does the insurance only care what about the absolute loss, or will they say I didn't pay enough coverage for the entire trip?

Insurance is quoted on the full value of the item insured.
OK..., that's a little nebulous. I don't need insurance for the full trip, only the hotel and scuba deposit. Do I risk not being paid at all if I don't insure the other items that will be reimbursed by others (the airline, and the remainder of the diving costs)?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom