Question Travel Insurance for pre-owned gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
JeemyT

JeemyT

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all. I'll travelling overseas soon for work with all my dive gear, but much of it is second-hand. I'm using Covermore international comprehensive. I'm aware of their policy to replace items or reimburse the repair costs of items given there is some proof of purchase or ownership. Can anyone suggest how I may obtain proof of ownership for pre-owned items (like my BCD, Regs and strobes) which are from facebook marketplace? Cheers

You'll get many suggestions, some might even be sensible, but why don't you ask the insurance company what they will accept as proof?

You'll get many suggestions, some might even be sensible, but why don't you ask the insurance company what they will accept as proof?
I already have. But thought I would ask here also, just in case insurance comms takes a while. the forum also tends to be more honesty, despite the sarcasm

I already have. But thought I would ask here also, just in case insurance comms takes a while. the forum also tends to be more honesty, despite the sarcasm
I suspect that Australian insurance companies may have different requirements than US based ones. Check the policy documents to see what thay say. I doubt that most posters here are aware of Oz-based travel insurance policies.

Hi all. I'll travelling overseas soon for work with all my dive gear, but much of it is second-hand. I'm using Covermore international comprehensive. I'm aware of their policy to replace items or reimburse the repair costs of items given there is some proof of purchase or ownership. Can anyone suggest how I may obtain proof of ownership for pre-owned items (like my BCD, Regs and strobes) which are from facebook marketplace? Cheers

I would suggest taking photos of the equipment, make sure to include serial numbers if they have them.

I suspect that Australian insurance companies may have different requirements than US based ones. Check the policy documents to see what thay say. I doubt that most posters here are aware of Oz-based travel insurance policies.

There is only mention that proof of purchase or ownership is required for all claims, whatever form proof takes. However cash transactions are notoriously hard to prove. The insurance PDS states as follows:

It is Your responsibility to provide Us with evidence to support Your claim for an item. This is ‘proof of ownership’.
• We will accept the original or a copy of a purchase receipt, invoice and/or bank statement showing the purchase, the date of the purchase and the amount paid.

• We may consider valuation certificates (issued prior to the Relevant Time), ATM receipts and warranty cards with accompanying bank statement of purchases.
• We will not accept photographs, packaging or instruction manuals as proof of ownership.

I would suggest taking photos of the equipment, make sure to include serial numbers if they have them.
unfortunately, the insurance PDS states: "We will not accept photographs, packaging or instruction manuals as proof of ownership."
Are you aware of any way to get scuba gear valued?

Try and find the sellers, get in touch with the sellers, and have them email you a receipt
also write out a couple of receipts and have your sister with a different name sign them

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

unfortunately, the insurance PDS states: "We will not accept photographs, packaging or instruction manuals as proof of ownership."
Are you aware of any way to get scuba gear valued?
Insurance usually accepts the valuation of an expert. If you can get the owner of your LDS to issue a written opinion as to the value of your stuff, you’re good. You may have to pay him/her for that service. That’s how it works in the art world.

Insurance usually accepts the valuation of an expert. If you can get the owner of your LDS to issue a written opinion as to the value of your stuff, you’re good. You may have to pay him/her for that service. That’s how it works in the art world.
Right. I'll sus out my LDS when I reach my destination. thanks for the help

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom