Travel destination for beginner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You could also consider Oman, the Muscat area. Beautiful dive sites with a lot of healthy coral and an abundance of sea life. I went there when I was about 20 dives in, did about 15 dives there and was comfortable on all dives - I found the dives easy despite my lack of experience. I also liked how peaceful it was, there were not so many divers. Not a lot of opportunity for independent diving though, and in July it will probably be quite hot.

Just curious, how are you considering 55 dives with AOW certification "inexperienced"? What criteria are you using?

I had no problems in my 55 dives, which is good of course. I read a lot in SB and try to get as much information what to do in spezific situations.
I consider myself inexperienced, because I had no unexpected hazards. In my opinion an experienced diver had to fix some problems on dives,so he gains the experience.

Thank you very much for the input.
My fafourite is cozumel atm, but I also consider a libeaboard(or hotel) at Egypt.
I am a bit worried, that cozumel will be expensive, because we have to pay the boat dives and guides. That's what I like on shore dives. 10 bucks for a bottle and I can dive.

Just curious, how are you considering 55 dives with AOW certification "inexperienced"? What criteria are you using?
Being refreshingly honest? Better than some of our experts who have yet to be certified or fresh out of OW.

Try the Red Sea in Saudi Arabia. Diving from Jeddah is very easy and if you want to do boat dives, it is a short drive up the coast. The Sheraton has a nice beach resort location.
It is by no stretch as restrictive as it was even two years ago especially now with the tourist visa. I highly recommend it.

Diving in Cozumel is very easy. I've seen many beginners dive there without incident. There is some current, but the dives are designed to "go with the flow". Very limited opportunity for shore dives.

Cozumel is easy for some folks but not everybody. I had over 80 dives by the first time we went to Coz, including a liveaboard, but I found it very difficult to adjust to the strong currents. My husband adjusted easily but I float like a cork and I was helplessly outpacing the group and trying to duck behind rocks and reef heads to get a break from the current and stop banging into things.

I am forever grateful to the DM (the legendary Martin) that took time to work with me on weighting and buoyancy and maneuvering in strong currents.

I loved our trips to Cozumel and I learned a lot, but whenever someone tells a newer diver that "Cozumel is so easy" I think "Maybe for you but it wasn't very easy for me!"

I had no problems in my 55 dives, which is good of course. I read a lot in SB and try to get as much information what to do in spezific situations.
I consider myself inexperienced, because I had no unexpected hazards. In my opinion an experienced diver had to fix some problems on dives,so he gains the experience.

Thank you very much for the input.
My fafourite is cozumel atm, but I also consider a libeaboard(or hotel) at Egypt.
I am a bit worried, that cozumel will be expensive, because we have to pay the boat dives and guides. That's what I like on shore dives. 10 bucks for a bottle and I can dive.

Sometimes it's a balance between the costs of diving, airfare, accommodations, food, car rental, etc. In some destinations like Roatan, the airfare can be expensive and convoluted but the diving and living are cheap. In other places like the Caymans, the airfare is usually pretty easy and cheap but the diving and living expenses can be pricey.

You should figure out a budget and then see how different destinations fit into that budget. Make sure that you are comparing "apples to apples" sometimes the online listed prices for a place doesn't include things like taxes, transport, fees, service charges, etc. So try and get accurate costs for your comparison shopping.

One option is to consider how many dives you are likely to get and then calculate the "cost per dive". Liveaboards often seem expensive but they may look a lot better when you calculate the cost per dive. Good luck!

Hurghada, Egypt is very easy for you to get to from Germany. We spent almost a week at Ft. Arabesque, a beautiful AI resort in Hurghada last year, and the diving and snorkeling were very good. Very nice house reef that you can use all day with a buddy, after a short checkout dive. You can shore dive, or do boat dives every day. The on-site dive shop, I Dive Center, is excellent. When I am able to return to Hurghada, I will stay at Ft. Arabesque.

Cozumel is easy for some folks but not everybody. I had over 80 dives by the first time we went to Coz, including a liveaboard, but I found it very difficult to adjust to the strong currents. My husband adjusted easily but I float like a cork and I was helplessly outpacing the group and trying to duck behind rocks and reef heads to get a break from the current and banging into things.

I am forever grateful to the DM that took time to work with me on weighting and buoyancy and maneuvering in strong currents.

I loved our trips to Cozumel and I learned a lot, but whenever someone tells a newer diver that "Cozumel is so easy" I think "Maybe for you but it wasn't very easy for me!"

Could you expand on the statement: "float like a cork"? Do you mean after 80 dives you had not mastered buoyancy control?

If you like being independent with shore diving and not too far away from Europe, you might want to check out Dahab in Egypt. They have restarted flight to Sharm, don't know if that included from Germany yet. Sharm to Dahab is an hour or two by van and most resorts can organize that for you.

A Caribbean alternative with shore diving could be Curacao. Direct flights from Frankfurt, nice scenery and culture, and prices are reasonable.
In the Cayman Islands Grand Cayman and Cayman Brac have decent shore diving, but it would be a less budget friendly option compared to others.

In Asia I believe there is shore diving at some places in the Philippines (Moalboal, PG) and Indonesia (Amed area)

Egypt costs only 1/3 compared to carribean because of the short flight.
Most Hotels in cayman have no rooms left for July.

I heard a lot of bad stories about dive centers in Egypt. That's why I asked here, if someone knows a good resort with dive center. I will check out arabesque.

The liveaboard in Egypt are very cheap as well. Is there a website where I can book the boat and flight all together?

Back
Top Bottom