Travel bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

menc44

Registered
Reaction score
How does everyone travel, as in what type of bag/case do you use? I have seen akona bags and such in my lds but what is different than a normal suitcase? How about those hard shell suit cases? How does everyone pack their gear? Do you carry on anything? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks

menc44:
How does everyone travel, as in what type of bag/case do you use? I have seen Akona bags and such in my LDS but what is different than a normal suitcase? How about those hard shell suit cases? How does everyone pack their gear? Do you carry on anything? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks

I pack the following in a regular rolling carry-on suitcase that is just under the maximum size carry-on.

BC
Regulator
Dive Computer
Mask & snorkel (prescription mask).
"C" card
Dive Logs
Airline tickets
Miscellaneous Small dive items

I bought two Stahlsac suitcases (checked baggage) that I used on my trip to Curacao. They worked great and have a lifetime warranty. My Atomic Liquid Blue fins fit in the case without being crimped.

My daughter also has a carry-on that contains the same things as mine. My wife's carry-on currently hold the camera equipment.

When I first started diving and traveling I purchased two rolling hard cases from a Samsonite factory outlet store. They are tough and do not look like anything dive related.

menc44:
How does everyone travel, as in what type of bag/case do you use? I have seen akona bags and such in my lds but what is different than a normal suitcase? How about those hard shell suit cases? How does everyone pack their gear? Do you carry on anything? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated. Thanks

If you have long fins, like Mares Avanti, the Akona bag with the side fin pockets is perfect. My buddy uses that one and I use a smaller one because I have Jetfins. They have zip out pockets on the front where you can stash your regulator bag(s). Both of ours came with Akona regulator bags as well as a smaller mesh bag.

I carry on:
camera/strobe
dive computers
log book w/ cards
prescription mask

I'm catching a plane for Cozumel in a few hours and I've got a large carry-on and a huge purse stuffed with stuff. :D

I've never had a problem with traveling with obvious dive bags and the problems with delayed luggage have always been clothes. Now I'm going to jinx myself.

My buddy uses a hard suitcase for his clothes and it is nice in that you can push it instead of pull it on the rollers. He's on his 2nd one and the first one cracked. We returned it to Costco and they replaced it.

I use the armor Backpack with wheels. Its a great bag and when you cant wheel it around like on a beach you can turn it in to a big backpack. Its an all around great bag. Its around $200ish.Fits all my dive stuff

bp/w
wetsuit
reg bag ( I take it with me on the plan but once I get to my destination i put it in the bag)
dive comp
fins
booties
knife
Mask/snorkel
http://www.armorbags.com/wheeledbags.htm

Someone here on SB recommended these to us last year. I picked up a couple from eBags (caught a sale... they were $100 ea, no tax, no freight)

I've used them a dozen times - gone to Belize, to Florida, to Hawaii, and on many local trips to Catalina.

They are the best travel dive bags I've ever used. I am SO DONE with softside dive luggage for travel purposes. My big Stahlsac only goes on the local boats these days. Its Rubbermaid tub for shore diving and these if I'm getting on a plane or on a ferry.

We dive drysuits, and I travel with a big 35mm DSLR camera outfit... everything fits in these. They're tough, simple, and CHEAP! When they croak, I'm getting a couple more.

---
Ken

11113_bxlrg.jpg

11113_axlrg.jpg

eBags:

We used to use Samsonite rolling hard bags but found soft sided bags packed carefully work much better for us. Soft starts lighter which helps with the weight limits. And there are advantages to something which bends rather than breaking (as our hard bags did.)

I've figured out how to avoid the issue and the weight limitation altogether, though it does drive TSA crazy: I wear it, wetsuit, mask, fins, BCD and regulator. I rent tanks and weights at my destination. And best of all...I can pee in my wetsuit while on the plane!

ItsBruce:
I've figured out how to avoid the issue and the weight limitation altogether, though it does drive TSA crazy: I wear it, wetsuit, mask, fins, BCD and regulator. I rent tanks and weights at my destination. And best of all...I can pee in my wetsuit while on the plane!

Now that's a master plan. No more having to wait in line for the bathroom while on the plane. :D

Back
Top Bottom