Travel Backpack for Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cesar Sanchez

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Good evening. I have been looking around for the best solution for a travel backpack (Weekend trip) to put all my gear in. I have looked at the divecaddy, but wondering if there was something less expensive. I have the following equipment that I will be traveling with:

Atomic Z2 Regulator setup with octo
Jet Fins
Mask + Snorkel
Booties
3mm Aqualung Wetsuit
Aqualung Zuma BC

also, gonna take about 4 tshirts, 2 shorts, swimsuit, undergarments, and small bag of toiletries

I use a hiking back pack 80 liters from memory, it fits all my dive gear, everything except weights and obviously tank lol). It's not branded so doesn't scream "expensive dive gear inside" and is very comfortable to carry. It's made by MacPac a NZ brand. Good luck with your search.

While this does not solve your entire problem I use a REI Lookout 40 pack (REI Lookout 40 Pack - Men's - Free Shipping at REI.com) that easily fits my BP/W, regs, mask, booties, a set of shirt/shorts, and dive computer. It is smaller than a lot of roller carry on luggage as well so I have never had to gate check it on smaller planes. Having said that it would be hard to fit all of that plus the wetsuit and amount of clothes you listed.

How long are your Jetfins? This might be one option if they're around 22" - or can be bent to fit:

ARMRCB.jpg

Armor Rolling Carry-on Backpack #130 $99

Most domestic airlines carry-on limits are 22x15x10. I have a TravelPro bag that is that size. I can get everything you have plus in it but no fins - my Tusa's are too long. It's a solid bag so no fears when I've been required to gate check it due to full overhead bins.

I don't understand how a fully stuffed Divecaddy doesn't get stopped/sized/gate checked often - esp. now since everyone is carrying on as much as possible to save checked luggage fees. Or use that to your advantage and have it gate checked if they won't let you board with it - there's a higher likelihood of it arriving with you that way.

I've taken the Divecaddy on two trips and absolutely love it. I did take the logo off the pack by carefully clipping the threads, but then again, it never leaves my sight anyway.

Yes, it's a bit of $ up front, but you'll love it.

I used the dive caddy on my last trip to Cozumel, worked great. Its only slightly bigger than the carry on limitations, so I think most gate attendants just don't bother.

I looked at a ton of different options before getting the dive caddy. Everything that you have listed should fit in there just fine. They will even make you a customized video showing how your exact gear will pack.

I have some scubapro seawing nova fins. Do you all think they would fit in a dive caddy? I wouldn't have any problem fitting everything else.

Next time I go to scubatoys I'm gonna fill that one they have up with my gear.

Good evening. I have been looking around for the best solution for a travel backpack (Weekend trip) to put all my gear in. I have looked at the divecaddy, but wondering if there was something less expensive. I have the following equipment that I will be traveling with:

Atomic Z2 Regulator setup with octo
Jet Fins
Mask + Snorkel
Booties
3mm Aqualung Wetsuit
Aqualung Zuma BC

also, gonna take about 4 tshirts, 2 shorts, swimsuit, undergarments, and small bag of toiletries

My wife and I have used the dive caddy for that amount of gear, and it worked just fine. Our regs have 7ft hose primaries and I use the XL jetfins which are longer than her L jetfinns.

One thing that she didn't like was that it was heavy . Since you compress all that crap in a small space, it is pretty "dense".

If you get one, get used to the packing/unpacking, while I never had them ask to open it in Orlando, Miami, or Bonaire, the airport security in Roatan asked us to open them twice.

I have some scubapro seawing nova fins. Do you all think they would fit in a dive caddy? I wouldn't have any problem fitting everything else.

Next time I go to scubatoys I'm gonna fill that one they have up with my gear.

My F1's are 23" and the length is no problem. The foot pockets are larger than most, but I just have to space them out instead of using the fin caddy. It looks intimidating when you first get it, but it really isn't that difficult.

Back
Top Bottom