Travel and weather on G. Cayman(newbe)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

radarguy

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I've been lurking around for over a year and finally got OW in January and done several dives off of East coast of Florida. Being an avid air photographer I got myself a Nikonos V and all the dodads. I have really been disappointed in the water clarity and the drift currents. Am I going to be disappointed when I go to the Caymans.
My Wife and I were considering going to 7 mile beach for a 5 day trip sometime in October but I was wondering about the weather then. From the web it looks just like Florida with easy mornings and afternoon thundershowers. Is that right?
How do the DOs handle that? I guess if you schedule all your dives in the morning are you OK?
Any experiences to share about scheduling up a package and then a hurricane shows up?
Lastly, my wife is just a snorkler and I am looking for a spot that she can just walk down to the beach and sun or swim. I am leaning toward Treasure Island Resorts. Any comments on them and their operators?
Thanks guys,
Russ

You should be very happy with the viz here in October and, most of the time, there is virtually no current here. By great viz, I mean 100ft +. Same weather forecast every day.... partly sunny, chance of late day showers... but there is always a chance that a storm can brew, especially Sept- Jan. Mother Nature can be fickle. Mornings do tend to be nicer as far as winds, etc.
We have only had 2 direct hits from hurricanes in the last century or so, but we have had some close calls. As far as setting up a package and a storm comes thru, we give a full refund on days that we can't dive... I pretty sure that most ops would do the same.
Treasure Island Resorts is nice, but it is located on a strip of 7 Mile Beach that has had some major beach erosion. Not much sand left there, but I hear the snorkelling is not too bad off the beach. Bob Sotos is their on site dive op. They are a larger op that takes out larger groups.
Hope this helps! Casey

In my experience many of the Dive Ops in Grand Caymen have morning dive runs. The boat leaves at 8 or 9 a.m. for a two tank dive and returns somewhere in the neighborhood of noon. I'm not sure of the times if you want a three tank boat dive. This schedule gives you the best chance of having clear weather conditions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom