Transporting gear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JBert

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey gang-

I'm looking for ideas on some sort of rig that I can put in the bed of my pickup that can organize and secure my tanks, bags, cart, ect.

Any suggestions?

Ours is a closed truck bed, and we do a variety of stuff with it, the one that that I think is important after someone else pointed it out to me is to have the tanks standing up against the forward end of the bed of the truck.

A few people I know use big coolers filled half with water to put their gear in on the way back. The dive buddy and I use Rubbermade containers for the same purpose.

Guy
:)

Hi Jbert,

This is what I been using for at least 4 years. I have just replaced the trucks. but keep using the same rack on every one. so this is really strong.!!. (most of my dives are on remote shores, and 4x4 are a must due to hi slopes, loose ground, steep tracks, etc.) and tanks are kept secured and tight.

To avoid drilling or making permanent modifications, I do remove the hook tie down anchors from fornt sides of the bed, and bolt this rack using the same threads. This rack is made from galvanized steel, you can find the rails, nuts, bolts, squares, angles, etc, in the electrical installations area of any hardware store. The scuba tanks are hold in vertical position againts the rack using a strap, with this I can accomodate up to 21 tanks, and you can be sure that they are not going to move. the rest of the gear goes in large and robust plastic boxes.

The rack proved to be multifuntional (see the bike holders) you can hold any think to it. and also helps to prevent damages or bending the wall of the bed. I have seen many beds contacting the passengers cabin.

Hope this idea helps for a better solution

Attachments

• 11042010162.jpg
    11042010162.jpg
    419.1 KB · Views: 224
  • 11042010163.jpg
    11042010163.jpg
    354 KB · Views: 188
  • 11042010164.jpg
    11042010164.jpg
    404.3 KB · Views: 166
I had trouble with all of my gear fitting in my trailblazer for dive rescue so i grabbed some of our spare SCBA tank holders from the fire station and mounted them to the floor of my truck using the cargo tie down bolts and 2 self tappers per holder. Works great all equitment is ready to go..

Attachments

• DSCF5002.jpg
    DSCF5002.jpg
    401.6 KB · Views: 186
  • DSCF5022.jpg
    DSCF5022.jpg
    391.5 KB · Views: 168
That is brilliant!!!

As a fellow FF, that is a great use of old equipment! This is going into a Dakota, but when I get my Durango this fall I'll be heading that route!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom