Transplate Harness - what *are* the extra D rings for?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the_ocean

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've been diving a Dive Rite Transplate harness and pondering how to strip it down and remove distracting bits from the setup. In particular I find the extra D-rings above the lower set to be rather useless since they're almost at my shoulders and almost out of view when I'm wearing a mask. I got rid of them and replaced the quick release shoulder and belt straps with a single-piece webbing and it seems nice and clean.

Anyway, I get the impression that Dive Rite are not in the business of designing superfluous gear. I'd like to know if they had some purposes in mind for those upper D-rings. (By the way, they are welded to the slide unlike the lower D-rings, which rotate freely). Anyone know?

I use the upper right D-ring for the octo holder for my pony on a similar harness. What I don't get are the double D-rings right above one another (overlapping) on both sides.

Ha ha, my Oxycheq also has a similar amount of D rings. I do like to have one close to my shoulder to clip a whistle. And I also use one D ring as an octo holder for my alternate too. But I could do with less overall too.

Those are welded d-rings. Many of us like them a lot better than the floppy ones because they are easy to clip to and find without looking...which should answer your question about seeing them. If they're overlapping, as one person said above, they're too close. You might not need all of them, depending on your application, but they do have a purpose in mind and were selected, I believe, to meet the needs of FL cave divers. If you have no idea what two of them are there for and don't use them, you should probably clean up your chest by removing the extras.

I use two sets of D-rings on my Stealth Tec and before on my SMS75 sidemount rigs. I've made some changes on the stealth but this is how I had them configured on my SMS75 for diving caves with steel tanks:

top right d-ring:
clip long hose reg (sidemount) + R-mounted stage
top left d-ring: L-mounted stage/deco + general purpose (see below)

bottom right d-ring: choker for R (steel) tank + R tank bungee + backup light #1
bottom left d-ring: choker for L (steel) tank + L tank bungee + bungee loop that holds inflator

I occasionally use my left top d-ring to clip my light when I am using helmet lights and want my hands free, or to hold my bungee with line arrows and cookies when using them a lot. This is also a good spot to temporarily hold a camera.

IMHO, the clunky extra junk on there are the buckles. Unless it's rental gear there is no reason to have all that when you can just fit it to yourself well once. Good job swapping with a single piece of webbing.

Last edited:
Thanks for the insights Zach. Sounds like the Dive Rite folks designed things to be customizable to suit the dive. Would be nice if they provided some advice on how to best use their equipment. I keep it simple since I'm still a relatively new diver and want to keep distracting gear to a minimum:

Left chest D-ring: backup light bungied under the arm on an adjustable length lanyard.
Right chest D-ring: primary light on adjustable length lanyard. If I'm breathing my necklace reg, the long hose reg is clipped here.
Left hip D-ring: SPG.
Right hip D-ring: SMB & reel clipped with double ender.
Crotch strap: unused front and rear D rings.

Removing the arm webbing plastic buckles, extra D rings, half-circle webbing plates, and chest strap makes it much easier to feel around blind to find D rings and gear.

Kind of miss the chest strap but I might try this:
If I ever need to huck gear up and down a lengthy or steep trail for a beach entry, I might consider carrying a plastic clip strap. I would loop it through the chest D-rings to act as a chest strap, and also loop my fins through them. Once I get to the beach I simply remove the strap and tuck it in my pocket.
SRBS34PEW-2T.jpg

Kind of miss the chest strap but I might try this:
If I ever need to huck gear up and down a lengthy or steep trail for a beach entry, I might consider carrying a plastic clip strap. I would loop it through the chest D-rings to act as a chest strap, and also loop my fins through them. Once I get to the beach I simply remove the strap and tuck it in my pocket.
SRBS34PEW-2T.jpg

A bit of bungee and a small boltsnap is less clutter and feels better. I used a bit of heat-shrink tubing to make it even cleaner.

Also, the front crotch strap bungee if for a DPV to tow you, and the rear is for emergency reel and/or tool bag with backup mask or anything that isn't stored in thigh pockets...or in place of a thigh pocket.

DR isn't in the business of training, they provide the equipment for you to tune for your needs. I think that's how it should be. You don't buy gear with the expectation that you can just jump into an activity that you haven't been trained for. A lot of people on SB get a sidemount rig and then want help figuring out how to use it, without having been trained in sidemount. I know that's not what you're doing. FWIW, I think you're doing it right, bought gear for your purpose and your training level, and then looking to learn more about the bells and whistles that could potentially benefit your style of diving. I'm a tinkerer too. It's fun and can teach you more about the gear which CAN in turn make you a better diver.

Last edited:
I use the top right to clip a backup light to (diverite bx1). The little velcro piece secures the light so it's not flopping around. I guess most people use bungee but the velcro seems to work just fine and was already there.

I use a clip like this for holding fins when hiking a beach for shore diving. https://www.amazon.com/Scuba-Diving-Keeper-Release-Lanyard/dp/B00YLVMG6K

Initially a buddy of mine had one, and I kind of scoffed at it. She bought one for me, and I felt obligated to use it. I fell in love with it the first time I did. I don't bother clipping my mask on because I've gotten used to just wearing it around my neck if it's not on my face.

I also added a chest strap to my transplate, and kept the quick release buckles on my shoulder straps. I dive heavy worthington steel 108's. I frequently pick the rig up with one strap to don it, It's about 3 years old now. I've never once had the shoulder strap clips come apart unintentionally, even when hefting the bcd with tank by one strap.

I've used the extra d-rings to store bags when tooth hunting, tools, all kinds of stuff. I wouldn't say all the d-rings are part of my "regular configuration" but when I need to store something I like that they're available. It's not like they're in my way when I have nothing on them.

I also have two additional d-rings on the diverite ditchable weight pouches. I've used those at times as well. I don't use the weight pouches when diving steels, they're useful when I dive aluminum though. Especially if it's a working dive at an aquarium where I need to be very negative.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom