Transpac II - Its a weight thing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

IanH

Registered
Reaction score
After lots of deliberation I bought a TII and travel wing.

I tested it out in my LDS's pool this morning. Fantastic - how did I ever dive in a jacket ?

Anyway - I found I needed 3kg with a 12L steel tank in fresh water.

Any ideas on how do I get myself a rule of thumb for 12l Aluminium in Salt water ???

I was going to go 2/3 ditchable and 1/3 fixed to the tank straps - any thoughts ?

Ian H

PS Thanks Leadweight - Without knowing it you were instrumental in this purchase. Within the hot emotional DIR / non-DIR threads there was some really helpful stuff.

It was close (I nearly bought a 27lb Pioneer setup). What stopped me ?
Too expensive in the UK,
UK distributor doesn’t answer emails,
Inflator hose looks too short for my AIR2
and finally didn’t fancy trying to get in or out of it while being tossed around the ocean in a small dive boat.

Do you have weight pockets? I wouldn't atach any to the tank straps - pain in the ass.

add a couple pounds (a kg.). if you're in salt. should do the trick.

I dive a TPII with the weight pockets. I really like it. dink around with it when you get to where ever you're going.

remember if you put strap weights on a single it will tend to make you a little more "tippy" can be overcome, but a waste of time if you don;t really need them. @ 4kg for salt you should be fine with a set of the Diverite weight pockets. I love mine.

Willer

I have a TPII and like it, here in the Pacific NW i dive with a dry suit and also need a lot of weight. here is what i do after dinking around with it for months. i have 12lbs(24 total) in each of the quick release weight pockets, two of the 4lb(8 total) black shot packs buckled on each side of the back pack verticaly. and then 10 lbs (5 each hip) on a weight belt that would be the first to go if needed. total of 42 lbs, but i am a big guy and with it spread out this way, i find that i can turn on my back on the surface and swim, but under water i can stay horz. fairly well and dont have a back ache from the weight being all on my waist area. BTW i dive with eather twin 50's or my 104LP or somtimes my 120LP.

Hi

Looks like we have come to the same conclusion, should be getting my TPII tomorrow.

You mentioned in a previous post that you are in Saffron Walden, I am curious, who is your LDS ? and are they any good ?

Cheers

Conor

Conner

I went to Mike's Waterfront Warehouse (Cambridge)

Very helpfull - spent all afternoon (3 cups of coffee) debating and choosing gear. They have a school with a small pool at Over where I got as much air as I needed and as much help from a qualified instructor as I wanted to try the gear out (after they had assembled and tested it.

A competitive price as well !!

I wouldn't hesitiate to recommend anyone going to see Sheena or either of the two Dave's.

Ian

Thats good to know, they are not that far away from me.

BTW did you end up trimming the waist band on your harness ? Mine has arrived and seems to have way too much belt.

I was thinking about cutting it down, but then again don't know how nuch to leave for dry suit and other types of future expansion.

Conner

I have not cut it yet, but I will do. I probably won't leave myself too much free because if I end up doing drysuit/twin tank stuff I will get my self a Stainless Steel plate Halcyon. The Transpac is for single Aluminium tank holiday dices which is what I do - at the moment.

I've taken the cummerbund off as well as the padded back piece. I’ve ordered two clipper pockets because I want to integrate my weights – 3mm suit and steel tank only needed 4-6 lbs in the pool so I should only need to carry about 6-8lbs in sea water. I’m going to pout 2lb o n my tank straps and 6lb in the clipper pockets.. I’ve attached an SNB, knife and torch and so far everything is neat and tidy.

Ian

Congradulations on your purchases guys.

I just returned from Belize, so that is why I did not join this thread earlier. There are a lot of options for weighting the TPII. Dive-Rite's integrated system, clip pockets, Dive Rite trim weights, conventional weight belt, even threading a weight on the top cam band or the 2" webbing waist band. Not to mention that when you travel the available weights will not always be exactly what you want.

Experiment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom