OMS 7 LED Phantom Review

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

This is my first review , and one of my first postings on here, so please excuse....

I have been asking advice, searching the forums and borrowing lights in search of a dive light that would suit my purposes, and at no time, found a review of this OMS product - recently purchased.

First off - I bought this light for use on the Great Barrier, lakes and quarries, and also the coast of the UK.

My main criteria for the lights where as follows:

Primary light use, for low vis and dark diving
High lumen output - Better than my p7 driven "el cheapo" dive torch (from Dealextreme - dont do it! 4 of 5 flooded!)
Unlikely to flood (unlike the above!)
Reasonable burn times - 3 hours or more
Rechargeable or easy to acquire batteries
Long life (as a previous HID ballast failed)
Hand held - preferably Goodman Handle

After much deliberation I settled with an OMS Phantom 7 LED imported (with warranty) from the US total cost $1500 AU.

On opening the pack the light was bundled into a "protective" bag - with OMS logo - which was clearly for use with regulators and failed to hold the light without the umbilical cord being bent at 90 degrees.

Fortunately the light itself is of much better quality.

The lamp head is weighty, it is machined from aluminium with a mil spec anodising. The head weighs in about 400-500 g, but is well balanced when held with a Goodman handle. The glass lens is held in place by multiple bolts with allen key fittings and allows for replacable PCB in the field (should you require).

The Lamp head holds 7 high power LED's - possibly cree MC-E with individual optics.
The lamp head measures 95mm in diamater and the length is 145mm (not including the cable gland). The head is SOLID, it is a well manufactured piece of equipment and is not likely to break even with accidental drops.

The rear of the head contains a reed switch for on/off. There is no dimming function. One on, or off, you can use the chunky screw to ensure no accidental function. This screws into a recess and prevents the switch moving. It is easy to use even with 7mm gloves on, but not overly necessary as the switch is not slack in movement.

The cabling is submarine spec and appears very durable. Long enough to reach from a mount on your backplate, between your tanks, or from your waist strap. The glands are once again SOLID!

Canister is 260mm x 60mm, made of PVC, and holds a custom Li-ion battery (looks to be made from 12 cells with PCB). The base of the canister unscrews with one o-ring to seal. The lights are wet pot tested to 100m before leaving the factory.

The battery lasts for 3.5 hrs (manufacturer). I have 3hrs 40 minutes during two dives and after a full charge. To charge simply remove from canister and plug into supplied charger. Red LED on battery for charging, Green for charged.

Now - the most important bit!!
Despite being made up of seven independant LED's, the optics produce a single spot beam of 6 degrees. It is EXCEPTIONALLY bright. I would compare it to the Trailtech 35W HID ATV light I have.

I am unsure if in mirky waters, the LED has the same punch as a HID of comparable lumen output, but next to my buddy's 21W Halycon its penetration is the same, only brighter.

The beam is tight with good spill...... complete overkill for a shallow reef night dive - for that I use Photon Torpedo's with an R2 LED DIY upgrade. For mirky dark dives it is awesome. Having not been qualified to take on caves or wrecks I cannot comment on usefullness in these situations, but in deep dark tunnels in Dorothea quarry it is perfect.

Overall I would suggest this is a great torch for those in the market for a high-end HID comparable LED torch with dollars to spend. It is not cheap, but it will last, and providing OMS CS is better than rumoured, should be the only light needed for then next MANY years (well hopefully - i'm not sure the better half would approve!).
The lamp head is large, but acceptably so, and gives a robust feel. 3 1/2 hour burn time is more than adequate for most people and for the output - exceptional.

I hope this may be of use to those considering an OMS. I will try and post beam shots when my buddy's camera is fixed.

Safe Diving

Ian

Thanks for this review, but I just browsed the OMS website and it seems that they have dropped all of their LED lights, indeed all lights, from their website, pdf 2010 catalog and closeout pages. I just saw the lights in May at the OMS booth in the Long Beach Scuba Show, but they are now gone from their posted offerings. Did they have a supplier or technical problem? Does anyone know?

And not to mention that OMS customer service is infamous.

I wouldn't spend any significant amount of money on anything OMS that may require warranty servicing or repair. You could very well be left high and dry with an expensive paperweight.

Friends don't let friends buy OMS.

I dive OMS BP/wings and think highly of them but they need little customer service. The overpressure valve recalls missed me. But the Phantom lights have been the subject of a big advertising push this past year. So it is surprising to see them disappear from the OMS line. Supplier or bad quality or poor market response is likely but I should not be guessing. Yes, I have experienced poor customer service and they know their service is poor and have let it continue.

Back
Top Bottom