Transmitters position?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Eff that noise. Button gauges are junk. Keep the SPG's in your save-a-dive kit and don't even bother buying button gauges.

@JohnnyC I'm curious as to the button hate. Personal experience with them failing? Or seen unacceptable or drastically inaccurater readings (mine seem to match up well)? I feel I'm good continuing my dives with my button spgs if I loose transmitter connectivity. Barring a failure, I'm no worse off than if I had started the dive with out AI. If the buttons fail, then I'd end the dive.

I miss your old avatar by the way...

In another recent thread JohnnyC said this about button SPG's. "Ditch the button SPG's. They fail on the regular and are generally a waste of money."

@JohnnyC I'm curious as to the button hate. Personal experience with them failing? Or seen unacceptable or drastically inaccurater readings (mine seem to match up well)? I feel I'm good continuing my dives with my button spgs if I loose transmitter connectivity. Barring a failure, I'm no worse off than if I had started the dive with out AI. If the buttons fail, then I'd end the dive.

I miss your old avatar by the way...

I've had an inordinate number of failures with button gauges, both personally and at a former employer.

Functionally, the inability to clock them is annoying. Their resolution may be fine for something like a rebreather bottle where you don't really care about accurate information, but for actually using it when gas volume is important, they are iffy at best.

Quality wise, I have found them far less accurate than normal SPG's. The worst offender was approximately 500 PSI off, but generally between 100-250 psi off. This is all based off of digital gauges on a full Bauer fill station. If you need to know how much gas you have, it's no good.

They are also more prone to failure. Stuck needles are a reality and far more common than a normal SPG in my experience. I have had 2 seize completely, rendering them absolutely useless. I've also found them far more prone to leakage.

My sample size is around 40 button gauges of varying brands. A handful, 5-10 at best, were both accurate and reliable. The rest showed varying levels of inaccuracy, varying levels of reliability, and getting them to clock was a crapshoot. Perhaps 20% of them were correctly oriented when tightened.

Shearwater has seemed to have the connection reliability thing licked pretty darn well, compared to the competition anyway. Why intentionally introduce an unreliable failure point into a system, that may or may not even be accurate or readable, especially when it's more unreliable than the system it's designed to back up. Carrying a real SPG is a far more worthwhile backup, for the off chance the transmitter chokes.

Anyway, that's why they're trash IMO.

I've had an inordinate number of failures with button gauges, both personally and at a former employer.

Functionally, the inability to clock them is annoying. Their resolution may be fine for something like a rebreather bottle where you don't really care about accurate information, but for actually using it when gas volume is important, they are iffy at best.

Quality wise, I have found them far less accurate than normal SPG's. The worst offender was approximately 500 PSI off, but generally between 100-250 psi off. This is all based off of digital gauges on a full Bauer fill station. If you need to know how much gas you have, it's no good.

They are also more prone to failure. Stuck needles are a reality and far more common than a normal SPG in my experience. I have had 2 seize completely, rendering them absolutely useless. I've also found them far more prone to leakage.

My sample size is around 40 button gauges of varying brands. A handful, 5-10 at best, were both accurate and reliable. The rest showed varying levels of inaccuracy, varying levels of reliability, and getting them to clock was a crapshoot. Perhaps 20% of them were correctly oriented when tightened.

Shearwater has seemed to have the connection reliability thing licked pretty darn well, compared to the competition anyway. Why intentionally introduce an unreliable failure point into a system, that may or may not even be accurate or readable, especially when it's more unreliable than the system it's designed to back up. Carrying a real SPG is a far more worthwhile backup, for the off chance the transmitter chokes.

Anyway, that's why they're trash IMO.

Thanks! Appreciate you sharing your insight. I've only been diving AI with mine for a few months. I'll definitely keep a closer eye on them going forward.

I have way less experience with them than JohnnyC but can attest to the inaccuracy of them. I don't expect them to be accurate though. They don't match exactly with my fill station gauges or with my transmitters. I use 4 of them in sidemount and 4 on deco cylinders. I like that I can check for fills without grabbing my computer. I can check that the stage is still charged while off. I will have to learn the hard way to ditch them. Being unable to clock them means nothing to me as my brain can read them in any orientation. They would never be anything more than a backup or convenience except for my deco stage which is a different matter altogether. If they do fail me in the future I doubt I would have animosity for such a lowly thing. It would seem to me that real failure would mean serious leakage and loss of gas. Is that happening?

I'm just sharing my opinion. Don't take it as advice. If you need advice on the matter listen to someone like JohnnyC with way more experience. We all get to make our choices. I'm diving in open water. I own some diverite deco regs that come with these button gauges. Perhaps I will change them for full size SPGs if I read of some actual problems that are life threatening, caused by them.

I am probably wrong.

Eff that noise. Button gauges are junk. Keep the SPG's in your save-a-dive kit and don't even bother buying button gauges.

I like this idea. Thanks!

I can check that the stage is still charged while off.

I am probably wrong.

A bit off topic but I was taught to periodically turn on and off my deco cylinders on a dive. This was I always know it is charged.

The last bit about you being wrong is 100% right though. :poke:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom