Transmitter shows same pressure for several minutes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeltaWardog

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just got back from Bonaire where I put my new (to me) VT3 through the paces. On the second to last dive I had a very weird transmitter issue.

I started the dive around 3000 psi. The transmitter got stuck at 2285 psi. I noticed this several minutes after it got stuck. (noticed because I knew there was no way I had that much air at that point in the dive) Shortly after I noticed and had started ascending I heard a very strange hissing noise from behind my head. I assume this was related to the transmitter because as soon as that hissing noise stopped (about 4-5 seconds) the VT3 started reading the correct psi, showing around 1200 psi and continued counting down normally as I breathed.

The transmitter was not delinked from the computer. The psi reading was not flashing. And something physical definitely happened to it to cause it to start working again. While troubleshooting I tried purging both regs to rapidly drop pressure, tried cycling screens on the computer, nothing worked until I ascended about 20 ft and the mysterious hissing noise fixed it, I assume due to some pressure change in the transmitter.

Any ideas? Has this happened to anyone else? Is it something that can be fixed?

I did one more dive with it and didn't have the problem again. Same max depth on last 2 dives and I dove even deeper earlier in the trip.

Thanks for that incredibly insightful and constructive reply.

This is a diving instructor and tec diver talking.

Your regulators are part of a LIFE SUPPORT SYSTEM, diving with a faulty high pressure air measuring system is foolish. I don't think you want to expose your family to the grief of a accident!

You should take your regs to the shop and have them looked at!!!! If your VT3 is brand new, it is under warranty and service should be free, unless you bought online.

The short answer is to have your transmitter replaced, or repaired.

These things seem to come in two varieties. They work perfectly, and have zero issues -or- they display problems generally very early after purchase, and need to be replaced. Dan had three transmitters, and two computers replaced I believe before he hit on the combination that has been solid for a good while.

Maybe someone from Oceanic will give you advice, but what are your options? I hope this is new, and you can get it fixed under warranty. I guess the other option is to continue diving with it, and see if it has issues again.

As for a backup, I dive a brass SPG in addition to my Epic. So far, I have not needed it, but I have a backup, and the cost in weight is little compared to the cost of loosing a dive if I were to have issues while on vacation, or even having to mess with it on the road.

If your VT3 is brand new, it is under warranty and service should be free, unless you bought online.

I can't agree with this. A1 (our local LDS) will take back a NEW computer within 30 days, and replace it. After that it has to go back to Oceanic just like any Oceanic purchased on line with a warranty from places like ScubaToys. I'm betting ScubaToys will replace the transmitter with no questions asked, or even the entire unit for a period of at least 30 days, and maybe more. If you got it from LP, they should replace the transmitter at no charge for the length of the normal warranty period.

So why would he not have warranty coverage as long as he purchased it new from a authorized dealer, or from a dealer that offers their own warranty?

Mine was bought used so not under warranty. Can someone from Oceanic reply with what it would cost to get this transmitter serviced and repaired if necessary? Thanks.

Could be an O ring or that the transmitter is slightly loose. Try removing it and putting it back together and checking for leaks in a pool environment. A backup SPG is recommendable.

I've never heard of this happening. I have 2 Oceanic wireless computers and 3 transmitters and I'm the go-to guy for computer questions at our shop.

Call Oceanic service and talk to Mark. If anybody has heard of this happening, it's him.

I think the charge to repair/replace a transmitter is $100.

No, a backup SPG is not necessary. They can fail just as easily as a transmitter. Don't listen to that BS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom