Transmitter dropout when using Perdix in sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just got into SM a month ago but prior to that was having similar interference with a legacy (grey SW transmitter) when diving my single steel in BM. Transmitter was directly on 1st stage (no hose extension) and pointing to my left. Shearwater perdix AI is always on my left wrist. Now in SM I got one of the swift transmitters and just this weekend I saw interference when diving.

I dive 2 fx100 steel tanks, transmitters pointing down from first stage (directly connected to 1st stage). Legacy on my left and swift on the right. Perdix AI on the left wrist as earlier stated. I should also note that I am diving a Santi heated vest and UWLD 105wh battery with heat controller clipped to d-ring on right shoulder.

I started to get cold 20 min into the dive I turned on my heat to setting 2 out of 5 (5 being the highest power output) and 30 or so seconds later I lost communication with the swift. Thought that was odd but I just left it on for what looks like 2 min and turned it off after ascending where temps were 10F warmer.

Second dive was in shallower water but same setup. I have video of the loss in comms occuring and it only happened to the swift again. I moved the heat controller to the left d-ring but didn't change behavior. Tested at home but not in water and I can see some interference from the heated vest when turned on by observing the LED on the swift (red and then immediate green flash) however I never lost communication.

Speaking with Bobby (UWLD) sounds like it's likely EMI from the vest and exacerbated underwater hence why I have not seen it testing at home. Going way back to my original experience with this in BM I was also wearing my vest and I'm confident it was powered on when I experienced this before.

Is anyone else using a heated vest and has experienced this? Perdix position did not change the communication for me. I will try swapping the swift and legacy sides to see what difference if anything that makes. I'm not sure how many use heated vests and are either diving in cold water or extended dives but I would have thought that SW may have done some testing to see if they could mitigate any interference.

@Marie13 Don't you have a heated vest?

Pretty much confirmed for myself that the heated vest is the cause in my case. Switching tanks for the transmitters didn't change much. To test I had my heated vest connected under my dry suit but not connected to my heat controller. Heat controller and battery connected with EO plug on the end of the heat controller connection. Got in the water and at depth turned on the heat controller (again vest is not on). At all power levels the heat controller had no impact on communication with the Swift or legacy Shearwater transmitter.

Second dive I hooked up the connection to the heated vest from the heat controller. At depth I turned on the heat controller to level 2 of 5. About 30 seconds later lost communication in both transmitters. I was just stationary playing with it to see what would happen. Sometimes it would come back, distance to perdix and transmitters didn't change anything that I could observe. Turned heat off and comms came back right away for both transmitters.

Started the heated vest up again and seemed to remain in communication for most of the dive but intermittently would lose it then it would come back. Seems like I'll just have to live with this unless SW says this is not normal behavior.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom