Transmitter dropout when using Perdix in sidemount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use two grey and no scooter, but a large torch on Goodman handle.

The weird thing is that when this happens it stays disconnected for the entire dive unless i change the computer over to the other arm and then the other side loses connection, so it seems unlikely that it's batteries but rather some kind of interference :/
Two grays are technically not compatible as they use the same signal frequency. I did it for a year and never personally had an issue, but it is a known problem which is why they added the yellow transmitter.

I have about 100 SM dives using dual transmitters (grey/yellow) with my Perdix.
I have noticed a small number of times it has briefly dropped signal. It's always been in cold water, below 10C.

@Erik Forsberg

I was diving today in 49F water so that’s just below 10C. Left (yellow) transmitter did lose the connection for a wee bit. Nothing really different that I was doing. It was a 40 minute dive in a former lead/zinc mine.

Hello

The transmitters are supposed to work from -6° C - +60° C (22° - 144° F). So it is probably not a temperature issue assuming full batteries.

It might be an interference problem given that you are using two gray transmitters. A friend of mine uses the same setup and has transmission problems from time to time (no transmission from one transmitter). I use a gray and a yellow one. There is rarely a connection loss longer than a couple of seconds.

A transmitters is turned off when the pressure is below 50 bar over a period of 2 minutes. So, you might „restart“ a transmitter by closing the tank, purging it down and opening it after 2 minutes.

Do you have the option to test-dive a yellow and a gray transmitter or the new Swift-transmitters? If there are no dropouts in this situation, it is most likely an interference problem.

Best wishes Jens

I've not noticed this issue with the Swift transmitters on a 6" hose (dry suit/heavy undergarment/sidemount) and I use a Perdix AI on each arm, once I had one computer not connect to either transmitter but a quick on/off at the surface and no issues since.

Are you using the swift transmitters or the older ones?

Are you running current firmware? The refresh rate may have changed. Battery condition of the transmitters should be displayed directly above the pressure reading on the screen.
That is not the transmitter battery condition - it’s a graphic of your current tank remaining pressure!

Are you using the swift transmitters or the older ones?
If they are swifts, then it cannot be cross interference or range. It sounds like batteries- cold conditions further depress voltage- if they are already depleted. So if the nominal 3.6v falls below 3.0v it will drop out.

change them, get decent CR 3.6v batteries and swap out….

The battery status (3V, 2.75V, or 2.5V) is transmitted every 5 seconds. If it is a low battery problem, then the battery warning should show on the computer.
The only way 2 greys (or 2 greens or 2 yellows) can interfere with each other is if they are turned on at nearly the same time; then a little clock drift might slide the transmission of one enough to interfere with the other. If they are turned on 2.5 secs apart, the drift is not enough to cause interference.
It sounds like signal attenuation by the location of the transmitters, in which case moving the srist that has the computer on it over closer to the not-heard transmitter -- for at least 5 seconds to mkae a sure a transmission happens -- should regain reception.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom