Transfill whip: with or without gauge?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes gauge.

I would not fly with a transfill whip, I'm right at my weight allowance (or over) already. Driving? The gauge is inconsequential.

You can skip the argon its worthless despite being $$. You money is better spent on a decent heated vest.

Yes, my whip has quick disconnects so I can run it with or without a gauge.

Pics?

I interrupt this thread because I just bought a digital gauge to use sometimes and I was thinking of adding quick disconnects also.

Please continue:)

I have a couple different whips,
Paintball hose and quality made female body paint ball quick connects work quite well, (do not use brass Male ends, only SS,)
You will need to make a plug to cap the quick connect if you remove your gauge,

the hose is nice an light for travel, and you can get very small bore hose, you waste less gas..

Here are some of my fill whip ends that I normally use on my fill station, but I have an other hose so I can have a whip,
Those gauges are not very accurate, and are just for general checking,,,
20220105_102342.jpg
20220105_102302.jpg

I have a non-gauge fill whip I used to use for transfilling O2 from larger bottles (80's) to rebreather bottles when I was on offshore trips.

I always regretting not getting the gauge. Transfilling high pressure O2 blind was probably the most dangerous/stupidest thing I did on those trips.

I have a non-gauge fill whip I used to use for transfilling O2 from larger bottles (80's) to rebreather bottles when I was on offshore trips.

I always regretting not getting the gauge. Transfilling high pressure O2 blind was probably the most dangerous/stupidest thing I did on those trips.
We all do stupid things! One of the first things I did with my simple fill whip (described earlier in this thread) after I purchased my second OMS LP 46, was to transfer half of the oxygen that had been Haskelled into my first 46, into my second (empty) 46.

And then I took both cylinders into my LDS (owned by my tech instructor, who had both sold me the two 46's and done the earlier Haskelling) and had both topped up with oxygen-compatible air, after telling my instructor what I was doing.

I remember being exceedingly proud of myself when I analyzed both 46's with my new Analox oxygen analyzer (purchased from the same LDS) and saw that the results were almost spot-on my calculated values.

(I think my instructor was exceedingly happy that I hadn't blown myself up when I was transferring the oxygen--so that he could continue selling me stuff! Did I mention that my equalizing whip is NOT oxygen service? Nor even just oxygen compatible, either, I think?)

rx7diver

We all do stupid things! One of the first things I did with my simple fill whip (described earlier in this thread) after I purchased my second OMS LP 46, was to transfer half of the oxygen that had been Haskelled into my first 46, into my second (empty) 46.

And then I took both cylinders into my LDS (owned by my tech instructor, who had both sold me the two 46's and done the earlier Haskelling) and had both topped up with oxygen-compatible air, after telling my instructor what I was doing.

I remember being exceedingly proud of myself when I analyzed both 46's with my new Analox oxygen analyzer (purchased from the same LDS) and saw that the results were almost spot-on my calculated values.

(I think my instructor was exceedingly happy that I hadn't blown myself up when I was transferring the oxygen--so that he could continue selling me stuff! Did I mention that my equalizing whip was NOT oxygen service? Nor even just oxygen compatible, either, I think?)

rx7diver

I'll bet you where very careful to open valves slowly and transfer slowly, etc

More often than not it's when we get complacent and not thinking that it's a problem,
you did something right even if you did it the wrong way:)

I'll bet you where very careful to open valves slowly and transfer slowly, etc

More often than not it's when we get complacent and not thinking that it's a problem,
you did something right even if you did it the wrong way:)
Yes, I was "pretty sure" it would be no problem--you know, (1) never let the fill whip "see" the full pressure of the Haskelled oxygen, (2) completely open the empty cylinder first, and (3) open the second cylinder only very slightly so that the transfill would be sloooooow and looooong, and without, um, drama.

Of course, I would advise anyone asking, to absolutely NEVER attempt this!!

rx7diver

That's my plan for adding a digital gauge, it's nice to see how fast I'm moving for PP blending and when to stop. I can get close with the analog, but just easier / better with digital.

I also make sure when I'm using O2 to open all my valves on the whip and then use the valve on the T bottle to regulate pressure. It's a pain, but I know that's built for O2, not sure about the others.

I need an O2 safe needle valve. I think NESS sells them for $40. **** never stops.

Edit: I think NESS needle valve is only good for 3000psi or something?... anyone know a needle valve that's good for higher pressures and rated for O2? I still want to use the whip to transfer HP tanks. Thanks.

Yeah, 3000psi:(

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom