Training for Solo diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beejw

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Do any of you know if any agencies permit solo diving with redundant air systems such as a pony or spare air? Even better, do you know of anywhere I can get traning in solo diving techniques and practices. I hold solo divers in far higher stead then other divers because it takes a special breed to venture into the big blue "alone", and of course, youve gotta have your head screwed on straight otherwise youre going to get hurt, or worse killed.

I dont have enough experience to tempt fate by diving solo at the moment, but its something I'd definitely like to do when I have more experience.

Any advice you have is much appreciated.

Cheers,
Beej

SDI offers a solo diving cert. I think the concept is ridiculous. How do they know you got it? Do they fail everyone who dies on their checkout dives? Most of us who dive solo, do not advocate the practice and believe you need enough experience in enough different situations to be able to solve problems on your own and to be able to evaluate your own ability. Frankly, I don't care if some SDI instructor thinks I have the skills to dive solo. His opinion isn't the one that counts. If you're not sure, wait until you are sure.

The only reason I can see for the cert is that some charters require it if you want to dive solo. Mike Ball comes to mind down your way. To dive solo from their boats you need to be solo certified and carry the appropriate gear. Redundant air, spool and lift bag is the requirement as I recall.

I did the SDI solo cert and I can only recommend it IF you do it with a good instructor. Eventually, it's all about preparation, experience and confidence. But nothing wrong with being guided into the right direction.
While there is certainly some "don't ask - don't tell" about solo diving, there are some places that actually sanction it IF you can prove that you are trained. Which probably is just a CYA - liability issue. But for that... a card comes handy..

You don't need any stink'n training. Just jump in the water and kick, if you live to tell about it then you are good to go.

N
Safety is way over rated, live dangerous and die free

Most (rec) training is over rated IMHO.
Night diving specialty... Its dark, take a light and take a spare incase.
Deep Diving specialty (40meters)... Its deep, you use your air faster, there is more chance on DCS, Narcosis
Wreck Specialty... Its just like a natural reef only diffrent. watch out for the sharp bits and dont go inside.

Solo... Your on your own. Watch your @$$ because no one else will.

Its all common scence that comes from experiance and that experiance comes form doing as much diverse diving as you can as often as you can. The best thing about doing couses is that you get a card they you may or may not need.

If you are thinking about taking a class because you want to be able to solo dive then you are not ready to solo dive. If you aren't sure if you are ready to solo dive then you are not ready to solo dive.

IMHO having a solo diving class is a good thing if the instructor and the curriculum are good, but if you do not feel that you are ready to solo dive before taking the class then you have no business taking the class in the first place.

~Jess

So solo traning is pretty much irrelivant, as long as i have enough experience to be able to save my self and CMA if something unforseen happens?

I would not say it is irrelivant. It is a good chance to talk through all the things that can happen and how to deal with them without a buddy. There are likely going to be some things you havn't thought about on your own that the instructor will come up with.

My point was more that if you don't know if you are ready to solo dive then a 1 or 2 day class is certainly not going to make you ready.

If you have to ask if you are ready, then you are not ready.

~Jess

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom