Tragedy at Mermet Springs Oct 2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kyle's funeral was yesterday in St. Louis. I wasn't able to attend, but many of our friends did and a couple of them spoke. I heard it was very nice. From what we've heard from Kyle's mom, the autopsy showed drowning as the official cause of death. The only details she (his mother) had regarding what happened were that he got separated from the group and that some piece of equipment (?) may have come loose. Hard to say what that might be or if it is even true as the story filtered down through people, especially non-divers who might not be familiar with the terminology. She mentioned to several people at the funeral that she would like to understand more/better what actually occurred and that she'd be reaching out to whomever she could do to so. I hope she can find answers that give her peace. She's a lovely Christian lady who is surrounded by plenty of people right now who loved Kyle. I'm thankful for that. Also very thankful for the post here from MamaBear saying that Kyle loved his first dive experience. That makes me so happy. I'm sorry to hear about the other dive tragedy last weekend as well.

I haven't been on the board much lately. I just heard about this today while diving a a quarry close to Mermet. I'm saddened and shocked. Mermet is a first class operation, I'm glad to hear how valiant the rescue attempts were. I think that speaks highly of the operation and divers in general.

I know this section of the board is for analysis and discussion but I most sincere condolences go out to his family and friends.

If anyone has any additional information about the accident, please share it for the good of the diving community.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom