Traffic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi, I'm wondering how long it takes to take a taxi from downtown to the Caleta marina in the morning?

Then the return trip back in the afternoon with all the cruise ships docked?

Thanks
Budget 30 minutes each way to be safe - 20 min MINIMUM

Budget 30 minutes each way to be safe - 20 min MINIMUM
Wow, that's double to triple the normal time. Meeting my boat at FONATUR for an 8 am departure is going to mean a breakfast of day old pastries and a grab and go coffee.

Wow, that's double to triple the normal time. Meeting my boat at FONATUR for an 8 am departure is going to mean a breakfast of day old pastries and a grab and go coffee.
I last dived a few days ago. After heading down 11th, and realizing I couldn't make a left onto Melgar and had to do a U-y and go back to the Chedraui street before I could head south, it took me 15 minutes MAX to get to Caleta...probably more like 10. Coming back is always another story but there seems to be less cruise ship traffic and I would say it took me 20 minutes to get from caleta to my house. Varies from day to day of course. And I have my own car so don't need to flag down a taxi, pay them etc. etc. So the above recommendations probably aren't too far off if you are going by taxi.

Thanks for the current info... Trying to decide, do the boat pick up downtown or taxi to the Caleta?

That works out to about 7.3 taxies for every man, woman, and child living on Cozumel

Some days that doesn't seem especially far-fetched. Other times it seems more like 7.3 taxis for the entire island.

Many days I seem to find support for the hypothesis that Zeta Gas trucks only exist just a little earlier in the morning than I want to wake up, and only outside my house. Perhaps they turn into taxis the rest of the time.

Thanks for the current info... Trying to decide, do the boat pick up downtown or taxi to the Caleta?

I'm usually a fan of driving to the Caleta in the morning, but if you're staying downtown and would need to take a taxi to the Caleta, pickup at the Aldora pier would probably make more sense.

If it's still relevant, I timed my trip today from the old caleta to my home in el centro. 15 minutes. Since I was coming home, instead of going to the dive boat, it really didn't matter too much. But I am OBSESSIVE about being on time and NEVER being late. I find it highly disrespectful.

Last edited:
Today I pulled out of my driveway at 8:43 - arrived Fonatur 9:03 - parked and walked to the boat ramp 9:10 - I was 5 minutes early for my boat ride.

So if you’re someone who likes to cut it close and don’t mind having others wait on you - give yourself 15 minutes - if you like to allow a few extra minutes for unforeseen traffic or detours and not feel rushed like you’re racing the clock, allow 30 minutes

The stores on the west side of Melgar across from Mega and further north towards Starbucks must be getting killed. The mountains of dirt from that excavating machine are higher than their signs and it’s almost impossible to get to them.

Back
Top Bottom