Traffic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ggunn

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Getting around on Cozumel has become even more... interesting. A large section of Melgar southbound is completely torn out. The southern end of the construction zone is near where the old Acuario restaurant used to be, and I haven’t yet been far enough into town to see the other end. I’ll likely go exploring later today since diving is blown out.

The rumor is that the construction will go on through July.

Getting around on Cozumel has become even more... interesting. A large section of Melgar southbound is completely torn out. The southern end of the construction zone is near where the old Acuario restaurant used to be, and I haven’t yet been far enough into town to see the other end. I’ll likely go exploring later today since diving is blown out.

And it started some months ago. There are about a million taxis driving past my house now that can't get through on Melgar.

And it started some months ago. There are about a million taxis driving past my house now that can't get through on Melgar.

A million taxis seems like just a bit of a surplus for an island with a population of only about 150,000 souls. That works out to about 7.3 taxies for every man, woman, and child living on Cozumel, raising the question, who in hell is DRIVING all of those taxis? To channel Congressman Hank “Guam will tip over and capsize” Johnson (D. Ga.), aren’t you worried that with a million taxis, Cozumel would tip over and capsize?

Why we stay down South :)

They are actively working the project (replacing the primary 24" sewer line along Melgar), the weekend before last they were working at night to catch up after an equipment breakdown. Hopefully it will not be much longer. The last east bound Calle between the downtown and Calle Quintana Roo by Europa is Calle 5. All southbound traffic along Melgar is routed across onto Calle 5 (International Hospital, Aldora, Tres Pelicanos .....) to link to Avenue 5 which creates a lot of congestion.

With all this construction going on, how long is the morning and afternoon commute to the marina and back from downtown?

No real difference, maybe a couple minutes. In the AM going to the marina there is not a lot of traffic and north bound Melgar is open. The rest of the day the main congestion (as normal) is the cruise ship port and the g%@&__m horse and buggies using the main thoroughfare.

I just came back from walking around town. At the moment the south end of the construction is at the Dolphinarium and the north end is just north of Punta Langosta. Businesses on the seaward side of the street must be suffering.

Hi, I'm wondering how long it takes to take a taxi from downtown to the Caleta marina in the morning?

Then the return trip back in the afternoon with all the cruise ships docked?

Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom