Trade for Tek Gear: Japanese Sword/Katana

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sonofasailor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This is the real deal, I bought it on a trip to Japan last year for $250 USD. I elected to not have it sharpened when it was purchased as I have kids in the house, but it can be done by a professional. As you can see in the pictures, the handle is snake skin and the sheath/handle guard form together to form a dragon. I am willing to ship it but would prefer to trade somewhat locally, IE most of FL and south Georgia.

I am looking for Tek/Cave gear of all kinds, deco regs, maybe a used nitek duo, I will entertain all offers though. I am also looking for tanks, specifically a Yellow AL40 or any color AL80, LP80, HP119, HP100 in hydro. PM me with what you have.

I also have a Canon EOS Rebel TI SLR for trade or sale. PM for pics.

Attachments

• IMG_4921r.JPG
    IMG_4921r.JPG
    174.6 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_4924r.JPG
    IMG_4924r.JPG
    260.5 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_4931r.JPG
    IMG_4931r.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_4935r.JPG
    IMG_4935r.JPG
    219.2 KB · Views: 187
Man, I dont want to rain on your parade but for $250 I doubt very seriously it is nothing more than a replica that can be bought at one of the knife / sword stores. If it wasnt sharp when you got it, that is another clue. True katanas and other "old" Japanese weaponry does not go cheap.

But then, it depends on who wants it what they will trade for it. Good luck!!

Man, I dont want to rain on your parade but for $250 I doubt very seriously it is nothing more than a replica that can be bought at one of the knife / sword stores. If it wasnt sharp when you got it, that is another clue. True katanas and other "old" Japanese weaponry does not go cheap.!

I agree. The dragon/snake skin theme isn't even Japanese. It actually looks more like sword from Highlander...

I agree. The dragon/snake skin theme isn't even Japanese. It actually looks more like sword from Highlander...

Man, I dont want to rain on your parade but for $250 I doubt very seriously it is nothing more than a replica that can be bought at one of the knife / sword stores. If it wasnt sharp when you got it, that is another clue. True katanas and other "old" Japanese weaponry does not go cheap.

Wow, you sb's never cease to amaze me sometimes. A guy comes on here trying to make an honest trade and you turn this into a bashing thread. Absolutely amazing, thanks for your contribution to society.

True katanas and other "old" Japanese weaponry does not go cheap.
Not just that. You actually need a licence to buy a real katana - the same as a gun. It's possible to get them illegally too, but it's big trouble if you're caught.

An authentic katana will cost at minimum a few thousand dollars. I've seen some worth more than $20,000. They can also be MUCH more!!!

HOWEVER - modern katanas made for "Iaito" training can cost around what you paid, so you haven't necessarily been cheated or anything.

Here's an overview:
Cheness Cutlery - Role of the production katana - How to shop for a low cost production katana sword.

As you'll see - most of the modern stuff is made in China. That might account for the snakeskin and decoration.

In any event - good luck!

Back
Top Bottom