Toylike snorkels...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Externet

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi.
I was 'forced' to use a 'modern' toylike snorkel on an occasion, had a bottom purge valve. What a garbage !
How is such purge valve supposed to work if apparently the water (and air!) is expelled downwards first and the rising tube stays filled ?

Later saw them at a Kmart, together with chinese masks that appear to be silicone but doubt they are. Are they clear vinylish garbage too ?

Enlighten please ?

Sounds to me like you've made up your mind (like you have about Grand Cayman) and are not ready to accept any explanation. Did you notice that they actually work, or do you just assume they won't?

Thanks.
Never used one like that before; and was constantly flooding, and unable to fully clear it. Perhaps defective ¿?

I have a dry snorkel with purge valve and like it a lot. Doesn't flood completely and it's easy to clear above or underwater.

Thanks. Never used one like that before; and was constantly flooding, and unable to fully clear it. Perhaps defective ¿?
Not sure how (or why) you'd want to clear one underwater, but on the surface you have it sticking up in your regular snorkelling position and most of the water is supposed to drain through the valve under its own pressure. What's left is in/around the mouthpiece, that's the bit you blow out. It won't work if the valve is stuck/too stiff, nor if you're trying to blow it out while ascending like you do when freediving with a regular snorkel.

There is good stuff and not-so-good on the market in pretty much every category. In some cases the big box stores actually sell stuff that is decent and a good value.

While lots of people prefer their snorkels as simple as possible, others like things like purge valves and splash guards. Purge valves can actually work quite well.

Not sure how (or why) you'd want to clear one underwater

I read this to mean when the purge valve is underwater, but it does read pretty funny now that you mention it. I suppose that would be like purging a regulator before biting down on it. :D

I have a snorkel with a vent at the top to prevent water from splashing in and a valve at the bottom to expel water more easily. The advantage is that the left over water that usually hangs around in the bottom bend of the snorkel is instead purged and breathing is unobstructed. No bubbling breaths like what you get from the basic snorkel. I've had it well over 10 years and it's the best snorkel I've ever used, and I've been snorkeling since age 5.

That said, I've found some terrible snorkels recently while shopping for a replacement for my wife. Water leaked in through every joint. Terrible quality.

why would you allow anyone to "force" any gear on you?

there may be rules about having a snorkel but why don't you get a normal j type without any add-on valves or covers?

If you want a good snorkel get what the freedivers use, a straight tube J snorkel with no valves, splash guards, check valves/balls, etc.
And then learn to use it.
Just keep it simple and less can go wrong, and less bulk.

Back
Top Bottom