Town being sued for NOT having a Dive Rescue team

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yes it is a punitive counter suit....mainly used by large corporations to counter sue small public interest groups during environmental litigation...

Anti-Strategic Lawsuits Against Public Participation laws wouldn't come into play because there would be no attempt to stifle 1st Amendment rights or free speech.

Tort lawyers know insurance companies often settle to avoid the cost of trial. It is the insurance companies that are really being sued, including her son-in-law's. We always hear about these outrageous tort cases but you never hear about when they are dismissed as most are.

Why does this sort of thing no longer surprise me?

How terrible and evil that some party (whether it be the woman, the insurance company or whomever else) can put a strain on the already-stretched budget of a small town and on the people of this place through this fatuous lawsuit.

I hope justice will prevail and the instigators of this lawsuit will have it thrown back in their faces.

Keep us updated on this one.

I think the Sheriffs dive team in San Diego is still volunteer; but the Life Guards are paid employees of the city.

I seem to recall hearing a lot of dive/rescue teams are NOT funded. I think it’s crazy what LITTLE most city’s can fund.

Most dive teams from small towns are NOT funded, they are volintary and tend to draw from fire depts. In some situations towns supply some gear, but most id supplied by the divers tha put themselfs in harms way for NO money.

Even the divers that are paid (LIKE NYPD'S DIVERS), are paid as cops, and make next to nothing for what they go through.

jptrealty:
Most dive teams from small towns are NOT funded, they are volintary and tend to draw from fire depts. In some situations towns supply some gear, but most id supplied by the divers tha put themselfs in harms way for NO money.

Even the divers that are paid (LIKE NYPD'S DIVERS), are paid as cops, and make next to nothing for what they go through.
Our team is paid for being Deputy Sheriff's. We get $.40 an hour for diving plus 90% of our gear is department owned and issued to each diver to use for anything they want. The only restriction is you can't use department gear for making money on the side.

For around 40 years my department has been very pro dive team. We even have 3 dedicated boats. An 8' and 16' Avon's and our 20' Landing Craft. Plus we have free reign on grabbing any one of the departments other dozen or so boats from 20-30'.

We have been blessed by the diving gods.

Gary D.

I work in a town with 300,000 + and we still don't have a dive team, of course we're in the middle of a desert..I guess thats no excuse for not being prepared! The town should sue them for the expense of their rescue.

We don't have fire/rescue departments anymore. They are now the Department of Stupidity Mitigation.

jptrealty:
$.40 an hour........point proven

At that rate it dosn't matter how much gear is supplied
And I think we are one of the higher paid teams.

But did I mention it caps out at 200 hours a month?

Gary D. :D

One of the highest paid teams, that says alot

I know of 6 teams NONE are paid, one diver was kind enough to give his life for the cause.......

I think his widow received little more than a half hearted thanks!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom