Towable Dive Sled

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looks like we can't let them walk. A sled ride must be in order.

Gary D.

Gee, original posts from this thread started back in 2003!
I guess that means there's still a fair amount of interest in the subject.

63050.jpg

Ya can't get much more basic than the dive plane offered by Global pictured above.

We had a piece of line about 4'- 5' long extending back from under the tow line attachment point that terminated in the center of a 16" piece of 1-1/2" dia PVC pipe.
Stick it between the legs & sit on it like a "single-line swing".
It allowed the weight to be off the arms & a person could ride around for hours, even using a hookah.

I built one out of 3/4'' marine plywood that was very similar to the one in Bob's picture after seeing the movie, "Shark's Treasure." Rent the movie and you will see a very basic model that is easy to build. Attaching a line with a dowel rod that actually pulls you along like the button type snow ski lift is a nice addition for long tows.

Two things to be careful about:

1. After a bit of practice and you get real good and cocky with it, do not think you are going to "ski" along the bottom with it like someone who will remain nameless. Hitting the bottom at just a few knots tends to tear the mounting post right out destroying it and leaving the cocky diver to watch the boat leave him behind until the boat crew realizes it.

2. If you are on SCUBA, be VERY careful about ascending while holding your breath as when the diving plane is pointed sharply up there is a quick ascent rate. For this reason, get plenty of practice on snorkel first.

I found fins and booties to be more of a pain than a help when using the sled, YMMV.

This is tons of fun even on snorkel.

c

Does any body recognize the attached tow picture.
If so do you know where I could purchase one?

Attachments

• ad-2005-0001_2.jpg
    ad-2005-0001_2.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 2,252
I was asked to post some pictures of the dive sled. This is all I have. The designer lived in CA. I do not have his contact info anymore.

Attachments

• Divesled4.jpg
    Divesled4.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 1,457
I saw a sub for sale on SB just yesterday. The guy wants $3000. It looks like something from Warthaug's link.

why can't I see the pics on page 3 of the sled?

not sure exactly which pics, but it's prob because this thread is SO OLD fROM 2003 that the site hosting the pics has changed since then.

If they were attachments to the thread, all "old" attachements to threads from several years ago were lost in the "great scubaboard server crash" of a couple years ago.

Back
Top Bottom