Towable Dive Sled

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi guys!

I am interrested in this subjecy as well, but looking for something smaller to be used
with a snorkeler.
I intend to use it for visual scanning of large lake bottom areas (depth 1-6 meters) searching for specific plants within the Swedish´National Environmental Monitorring Programme.

FIY, the Swedish Marines used something bigger, translated as a "search dragon",
when searching for mines. See this movie for a PADI course in Swedish lake Vättern:
http://oxyorebro.no-ip.com/galleri/video/drake512.wmv
If you find it interresting, I could write down a brief translation from Swedish.
Another BIG DIY model could be found here:
http://www.dykarna.nu/photoAlbum/album.asp?userId=1455&albumId=3207

Anyway, I would very much appreciate if anyone send me pictures and plans of a smaller handheld tow board.

Sincerely
Anders Olsson
Freshwater ecologist, Gothenburg, Sweden
olsburk@yahoo.co.uk

On my last dive trip to Sitka AK, I had a chance to try AK Divers Sled. I was surprised at how well it performed being made of solid plate aluminum. With a few personal modifications, I would build one myself. With the large wing span the sled would navigate well at depth while under tow. The owner, Dave, has the rope secured to the sled that makes it surface if you let go of it while in tow. Being all metal it will sink if the boat stops. My dive time was limited due to depth, but the experience was fun.

Anyone ever heard of the UV-1? It is a lexan tow sled designed by a plastics engineer in Sarasota, Florida. He was selling them about 10 years ago for $1100. I wanted it but the future ex would not go along. I built one out of aluminum lawn chair. It worked ok but was bulky. I am still very interested in one of these things. If I cannot find a UV-1 used I will try and build one out of aluminum. They need a com system (simple buzzers) to talk to the boat for safety. You are able to cover miles and miles of bottom with one of these. The UV-1 would disassemble and go into a canvas bag. It had breakable plastic screws for the ailerons as you will run into stuff. It also had a small buoy on the tow lline so that when you got off in coral or rock it went vertical and sat on the bottom ready to take off again. For treasure hunting he had a bracket that mounted a u/w metal detector. You could fly inches off the sand. The designer really thought of everything. He enclosed the wiring for the buzzer system inside the tow cable so it was all one piece. Anyone ever seen or heard of the UV-1 or has any plans for a simple sled? All the one's I have seen are big, heavy, bulky and expensive. To go on a boat it needs to breakdown into small parts for storage. And it needs a windshield, otherwise you freeze to death even in warm water. Also sleds do not attract sharks. If one is nearby you are on and kind of in the vehicle and between the two you are pretty big Of course when you get off to spear or are dragging fish thats another story. Appreciate any help of thoughts.

Gee, original posts from this thread started back in 2003!
I guess that means there's still a fair amount of interest in the subject.

63050.jpg

Ya can't get much more basic than the dive plane offered by Global pictured above.

We had a piece of line about 4'- 5' long extending back from under the tow line attachment point that terminated in the center of a 16" piece of 1-1/2" dia PVC pipe.
Stick it between the legs & sit on it like a "single-line swing".
It allowed the weight to be off the arms & a person could ride around for hours, even using a hookah.

There are pics in my gallery of a couple I have. I also have one small one I keep with my gear in my vehicle 24-7.

Gary D.

There are pics in my gallery of a couple I have. I also have one small one I keep with my gear in my vehicle 24-7.

Gary D.

Really? Maybe you could tow me around the lake to find the missing you-know-what. :D

Really? Maybe you could tow me around the lake to find the missing you-know-what. :D

Yea, especially sense I’m still grounded. :(

Wobbles tripped over one of those cement parking stops that was snow covered and has 15 stitches on her forehead and a concussion.:shakehead:

It pays to know people in ER. She came in by ambulance. We were 17th in line and were out in an hour twenty.

Gary D.

Yea, especially sense I’m still grounded. :(

Wobbles tripped over one of those cement parking stops that was snow covered and has 15 stitches on her forehead and a concussion.:shakehead:

It pays to know people in ER. She came in by ambulance. We were 17th in line and were out in an hour twenty.

Gary D.
Ouch!!! Wish her our best for full and quick recovery.

We were on the bow of the Lois Ann in San Diego Sunday, and Priscilla tripped over the anchor Chan as the boat was heading up the swell and took a good fall. No stitches, but plenty of scraps and bruises and aches and pains.

Maybe they both need a sled ride (desperate attempt to tie hijack back into the thread).:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom