Question Tow cord material

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You could double up the end burn a hole in the webbing and bolt it with a washers.... just an idea,,

In theory webbing would decrease scooter performance.
Especially in the prop wash, there is flow resistance,,, but probably not noticeable,,

My Fallon I use a single tow point, but my guard is alot smaller in diameter then the new ones,,,

I've never seen anyone around here use webbing for a tow cord! But it's an interesting concept.

Please let us know if you try it and what you see as the pros & cons. We try to avoid having working divers dealing with small stuff, beyond just cutting and discarding, because it is a PITA in the water. I find it is also true for me when recreational diving.

Please let us know if you try it and what you see as the pros & cons. We try to avoid having working divers dealing with small stuff, beyond just cutting and discarding, because it is a PITA in the water. I find it is also true for me when recreational diving.
Although I bought my scooter mostly for recreational dives, since it's my personal scooter, I use it for all the working (underwater cleanup volunteer) diving I do, which works out to about twice a month. The scooter and its tow cord don't really get in the way when freeing up abandoned lobster traps, attaching lift bags, cutting lines, etc. I'm not sure webbing will be any less in the way than the line I currently use for the tow cord, and since you mention it, I could see the webbing getting caught on more things because it's wider. For the most part, underwater the line doesn't slip once set, but often when I get home I find it's not set where I was last diving with it.

Regarding your earlier comment on webbing for DSMBs, we use lines with snaps attached to the lift bags as tails to feed through grates on the traps, with tubing around the line for chafe protection and also providing stiffness to shove through the trap to get good separation between entry and exit points. I don't think webbing would work nearly as well for this application, plus there's no easy way to splice loops into the ends of the webbing to avoid knots or some other way to fasten to the bottom of the lift bag or attach a snap. I can post pictures if you're interested

plus there's no easy way to splice loops into the ends of the webbing to avoid knots or some other way to fasten...

Loops are easy. Just use tri-glides or, even better, have your local cobbler or sail shop sew them. Like I said, the webbing is easily my preference over a spool when the only concerns are decompression stops less than at 30'/10M. Webbing doesn't twist or easily knot when stowing or deploying like small stuff.

Back
Top Bottom