Tovatec Flashlight question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rescuediverrn

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have a tovatec compact torch just for use in smaller spaces in the day time. I guess you could say it's my primary light as I carry it with my at all times. I have only pulled it out to use it a few times. It worked well the first couple of times. Then, one day I turned it on and it lit and then immediately faded out. So I chalked it up to dead batteries and replaced them batteries. I thought maybe it got accidentally left on or something since it was in the pocket of my BC. Yesterday, with brand new AAA batteries in it, I had the same problem. Shouldn't I be getting better battery life than this? Does it need lithium batteries. This time I'm sure it wasn't left on because I tripple checked to ensure that it wasn't. Any ideas?

Tovatec ICOM compact waterproof flashlight | Intova
TX
Michelle

Could be the magnetic switch. I can't remember exactly if there was ever a problem with mag switch on older models of the compact torch.
Your Compact should last around 4 hours at full power before it dims. Although the site says 6hrs, my friend only got 4hrs continuous when he borrowed mine to spearfish.

You have to take extra care to rinse out the magnetic switch.
Do you notice any crystal build up around the switch?

What I do with my Intovas are to soak it and activate the switch several times while it's submerged. I then take it out, invert the torch so the switch is at the bottom, and give the whole unit a shake and then press the switch a few times to empty the water from the switch compartment.
Water likes to sit in there if you don't do this.

Other than that, it could have also flooded slightly perhaps? Were your O-rings clean when you replaced the batteries (that's often overlooked)?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom