Tourist lost - Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Curious. Frank @Wookie , how effective are these whistles in your experience?
Well to be fair......It's diving from a boat with a pilot house & doors live-aboard versus Cozumel/Florida/Privateers with wide open air steering helms. But a DM & Passengers on the back seats are an extra set of ears that say " Did you hear that?? " is nice to have also.

I am trying to understand how a down current can affect you at a 5-6 meter SS.
I always thought they happen on or below the wall.

It can be like a vortex, like a sink drain.

You can see "interuptions" or changes in the current quite frequently in some places. North of town, by the boat launch ramp sometimes but most often I see them at the cruise ship piers - especially Lagusta - the water is very different there.

These things you see on the surface, one wonders what it is like below - some look like boiling water, other times it's pretty casual.

I previously posted about a nasty downcurrent we experienced last February at Punta Tunich wall. I witnessed my wife, our friend, and two other women from our boat get caught in the down current and try to swim against it back to the top of the wall. They were not able to do so. I reached my wife and friend at 120' and still sinking, and commenced an emergency ascent, which took us to the surface in less than a minute. Luckily we were only 6 minutes into the first dive of the day. The other two women were carried out away from the wall and then were able to make an ascent. The DMs we spoke to after the incident all said they recommend swimming with the current instead of fighting against it, and surfacing in the blue water. This particular current wasn't very thick, if that is the right word, and once we were past the edge of the wall by 100 yards or so it seemed to dissipate quickly. We were lucky that everyone was OK. Unfortunately this incident didn't work out that way.

We have a first hand witness of a down current pulling a diver down suddenly. I think that is a significant occurrence. No speculation, facts.

When I was reading description of what happened I couldn’t stop to wonder if that’s what happened to the @northernone, a forum member who disappeared on his solo dive (not sure if I spell the nickname correctly)
I thought of him too. I was conversing with him on Facebook the day before he was lost.

If my scooter floods it's going solo. I can always buy another one.
Float it up. Unless you're diving in open blue water then bury the nose and tie it to your dsmb. Partially inflate and swim it back or just send it up and follow it with your spool/reel line.

Everything is easy when you have a bottom under you......
Not many places where I dive that don't have a bottom. Flooded scooter gets the same response. Puff my wing and get the bag out. If I couldn't do that without risking a ride to the bottom then I guess I have an insurance claim coming.

I am not well versed on the InReach line, but I understand them to be "water resistant to one meter for 30 minutes." That's without any movement that would add pressure. There is a dive case for the InReach Mini, but you'd have to remove it from the case on the surface to use it, and not drop it. I carry a buoyant PLB. You need to research InReach looking for solutions.
I have the case, and it’s been fine so far for 20 or so dives in Cozumel (not exceeding 25m though it’s rated beyond that). It’s normally attached by a bolt snap to a bungee loop in the right (pants) pocket.

The bolt snap is tied to the outer case. The unit needs to be removed from the case to use, but it’s still going to remain attached to the case. So it’s possible to have enough “length” to clip to a chest D-ring and avoid surface loss, somewhat comfortably.

The unit needs to be above water to work, so this would still require holding on to it, it’s only to prevent loss. Should things take a while, I’d probably inflate the backup dSMB that can also serve as a flotation aid, and clip it to that.

right (pants) pocket.
You wear pants with pockets in Cozumel? Coming from northern California I'd expect you diving in a shorty, but I do like my 1 mil jumpsuit to protect my extremities from floating stingers. Your Garmin arrangement sounds good. I hope you also carry it on hikes and driving thru dead cell zones. I never leave home without my PLB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom