Tourist Dies in Fiji

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dead at sea

Shalveen Chand
Friday, December 31, 2010

A 19-YEAR-OLD Australian tourist drowned while scuba diving in the Beqa lagoon on Wednesday.

Navua police yesterday confirmed the matter was reported to them and they transferred the body to Suva for a post-mortem examination.

According to police, results of the post mortem examination showed the young woman died as a result of drowning.

However, an investigation would be carried out to find out how the girl drowned while being equipped with scuba gear. Beqa Adventure Divers director Mike Newman confirmed the incident to The Fiji Times yesterday.

Mr Newman said the group of divers were at Beqa lagoon for a scuba diving trip.

"When the girl did not surface with the whole team, two of our divers went back down and found the girl on the bottom. I think she drowned but I can not be sure," said Mr Newman.

He said his divers unsuccessfully tried to resuscitate the girl. She was on the trip with her mother.

Very sad

:depressed: I am really disappointed that these things happen, and we never quite know why . . . even if we have the final report, we still don't know what happened.

Poor mother . . . devastating.

Condolences to family and friends.

Wow,,our family,,including 12yr. son , took a dive trip to begua's Marlin Bay resort...I thought that they ran a first rate, very saftey conscious operation...but in the end,,,Scuba diving is a sport that involves risks...and there will be deaths dispite the all the safety...as a scuba family we accept these risks and have all agreed that minus obvious blunders like leaveing us behind..or giving bad gas...we accept our own risk and will not hold the boat, or resorts responsible..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom