Unknown Tourist dead, Dive Master ill - Ambergris Caye, Belize

This Thread Prefix is for incidents when the cause is not known.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
A tourist and a DM both becoming ill on the same diver certainly raises flags for me.

A male American tourist identified as 68-year-old Robert Monroe Hughes died on Friday, June 14th, while on a diving tour off San Pedro Town’s coast. The deceased, a retiree, reportedly became unresponsive during the dive. While this was happening, the dive master/guide also became ill and unconscious. By the time both were rushed back to the island for medical attention, Hughes had passed away. The guide was treated and listed in stable condition.
A police official report indicates that Hughes and two other divers (American nationals) left at 8:30AM for a deep-water dive tour along the barrier reef on Friday. Everyone except the boat captain entered the water when they arrived at the dive site. Under the guidance of their dive master, they proceeded diving, descending to about 60 feet. The report read that around 9AM the dive master/guide started feeling unwell and dizzy, signalling the three divers to ascend.
As the dive master ascended, he reported his condition deteriorated and was assisted by one of the divers. When they reached the surface, the guide passed out. While this was happening, Hughes was observed descending into the water. He was retrieved from the water in an unconscious condition. The people in the diving boat tried resuscitating Hughes by applying cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) without success.
The crew immediately headed to San Pedro’s Ambergris Hope Hospital, where Hughes was pronounced dead on arrival at 10:06AM. The ill dive master was treated and admitted in stable condition. Upon examination, Hughes’ body showed no sign of violence, with just a small abrasion on the forehead. The diving equipment and tank used by Hughes were retrieved from the dive shop and documented.
As the police investigation continues regarding this incident, Hughes’ body awaits a post-mortem examination to determine the cause of death.

Have dove from Ambergris Caye two years in a row now. Have another trip planned in Oct. Would like to find out more info about this incident.

Did they test the gas in the cylinders, after the fact? What were the results? Was it normoxic? Composition? O2, CO, CO2, ...

I try to carry a cheap handheld carbon monoxide meter/alarm with me for travel to places with questionable compressor protocols. Test it near smoke. (Plenty of smokers abroad..) Then spot check your tanks. We should probably be checking the O2% as well, even for 'air' (but we don't...)

CO2 is also dangerous at high levels, and WAY more abundant in most diesel exhausts than CO. Easily sucked into compressor intakes near land or marine generator exhausts. I suspect a lot of people complaining of "bad air headaches" could be getting CO2 overloads, whether from compressed exhaust and/or overexertion. I've seen this happen for air that tests "0" for carbon monoxide.

I'm interested in learning which dive operator was involved.

Awaiting more info.

Would like to find out more info about this incident.
Me, too. I emailed the news source asking which Op, but I am not surprised at the lack of a response. Nothing more on google today. Y'all could ask your usual Ops.

How many compressors are on the island? I remember an incident there several years ago when all of the air divers in our group were ill after the first dive while we Nitrox divers who dived tanks from a different Op were fine. I was suspicious but knew little about CO risks then. I now suspect that the Op we were diving with went back, drained all of his tanks, and changed his compressor filter without comment of course, but no proof. But then now I think that every diver should test every tank.

How much CO would it take to render people unconscious that quickly? A lot?
Nope, not at all. It varies with depth of course. 20 ppm in town at surface pressure wouldn't bother a person much and is really expected in busy cities and in third world villages, but at 100 feet down you'd get an 80 ppm effect. CO binds with blood so the effect becomes worse as you ascent and your PPO decreases while your PPCO doesn't much.

How are the other two divers doing since they breathe from tanks coming from the same dive shop?

How are the other two divers doing since they breathe from tanks coming from the same dive shop?
That's a common misunderstanding. Four tanks from the same compressor may have been filled on different days. Even if they were filled out simultaneously, there are still possible variables.

I have been told by local community that further investigation of the accident is being suppressed as the owner is highly connected in the local community, and the locals are not empowered to force an inquiry without suffering retributions. The operator is Ambergris Divers. If anyone has connections at PADI, now is the time to use them and ask for an official investigation.

"The operator is Ambergris Divers."

We leave Sunday and are planning to dive with them. This will be our first trip to Belize and we are staying at SunBreeze.

Any other details heard? How awful for the man who died and his family - and I hope the others are ok/recovered.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom