Tourist dead, 7 arrested - India

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I remember teaching myself to swim competing with my rambunctious cousins to go a short way from the rocks to the dock. I was a bit negatively buoyant and dog paddling was a struggle and I didn't know the crawl. I discovered it was much easier to swim UNDER water and just come up for air... ha ha I could Freedive long before I could surface swim! To this day I feel more comfortable under... can anyone relate?

I remember teaching myself to swim competing with my rambunctious cousins to go a short way from the rocks to the dock. I was a bit negatively buoyant and dog paddling was a struggle and I didn't know the crawl. I discovered it was much easier to swim UNDER water and just come up for air... ha ha I could Freedive long before I could surface swim! To this day I feel more comfortable under... can anyone relate?
Absolutely. My exact experience.

I don't really remember learning to swim, but I do remember diving for quarters the trainer coach would throw in at the end of the session was my favourite part of it.

Last edited:
I never heard of such abuse in a swimming instructor, and I have been around a lot longer than you.

@DandyDon & Marie13:
Abuse? Yes. Uncommon? No. Depends where and when. In my case I am around a bit longer than Marie13 and likely less than DandyDon. Grew up in a small town in southern Germany, maybe 7500 inhabitants in town not counting surrounding villages. Weirdly enough it had an Olympic size outdoor swimming pool with a fun shallow bay off to the side of one end and a deep dive board bay off to the side on the other end. The deep end. (Well, maybe 10 feet and a bit).
It also had a very active swimming club and a very active head of that club (and in charge of the pool). That little sleepy town had at that time (60s 70s...) regularly competitors at state championships.
Every kid going to grade school could at least swim and by grade 3 or so most swam impressively well. Some not, but they swam.

Some kids got exited about jumping off the diving boards we very little and survived by adopting an instinctive dog paddle or by firing fished out. Some did not dare.
Almost every kid not figuring out a doggy padfle of sorts, whose parents (nobody has heard of baby swimming in that town in the 60s yet) wanted for the kid to know how to swim by age 4 or 5 (before school, because swimming was a thing and water was a thing and once you swim you are safer...) learned to swim by this exact scientific method:

"THE" swimmaster either was approached by the parents or convinced the parents that it was "time". Then the by deep end scared lingering kid was approached by "THE MASTER" (I kid you not, a person commanding absolute respect (well, from little kids, he heard about it later) and a talk about maybe starting to learn to swim was initiated. At an unsuspecting moment "THE MASTER" grabbed one wrist with one hand and an ankle with the other. A one and a half turn Olympic hammer throw moment later the little person found him/herself catapulted to about (so it seemed) "THE MIDDLE OF THE DEEP END".

Most came out with one or another improvised style of doggy paddle. Crying and screaming. Mad as hell. He had a way of getting you with instant gratification so.
He just looked at you and asked what happened. You complained your little heart out about the horrible deed. He just went "And then what happened, how come you're here, what did you do?"
A very big light bulb went on instantaneously. And he had another customer for the club to learn this new thin, swimming even better...
That was the easy part.

But some had to be fished out. And we're traumatised. That was the hard part. To his credit, that (expletive) lost no one and stuck with working the (very few) traumatised ones more tenderly until they swam and had their light bulb go off.

I was one of those that got the instant lightbulb, my sister went down like a rock and little as she was almost killed the guy in anger....but she swam like a champ too, because she got convinced that there obviously was in issue that needs working on...

Different times, different place, different methods. Where it did not work was older kids, or kids that moved to town later in live. They just had to learn the hard way, slow and methodically. Well, I am saying that, I did not throw my kids in the deep end... but I made sure they swam...

That swim master. I mean "THE SWIM MASTER" definitely was a bit rough around the edges and definitely would be out of place these days. But he did know what he was doing. Definitely had a way of making a kids mind go "Oooohhh" ... ... one way or another... and he followed up and left no one behind... Was one of the head judges for swimming events at the Olympics in Munich too and don't know what else... But he sure is not from this time...

Morals to this story?
None. Just sharing the story.

Well, maybe one thought: If you are going to do that sort of abusive thing (I am not saying anyone should do this, I am not saying it's right), what's worse than doing it is to not follow up to the point where every kid actually does swim and no "traumatized roadkill" is left behind.

Sorry Marie that you were the victim of a copycat imposter of sorts and we're left to deal with your "Trauma" on your own.

All that said:
I am still at a loss as to how to have my wife find a way that works for her to get really comfortable in the water. No, she is not from that town or country...

...All that said:
I am still at a loss as to how to have my wife find a way that works for her to get really comfortable in the water. No, she is not from that town or country...

There are instructors specifically for adults & adults with a fear of the water. Friends of friends have tried this successfully. My mom who is a Clinical Psychologist & treats people with phobias has also seen these instructors work miracles. The best seem to be those that work one-on-one with the adult.

There are instructors specifically for adults & adults with a fear of the water. Friends of friends have tried this
Yes, trying this with someone who also can help het to overcome "the block" that prevents effective swimming might help indeed. (It's three things: phobia - made some inroads with that, but still... and convinced non swimmer,fairly fit person (much fitter than me) working herself into "exhaustion" within a minute not covering much distance at all in the process. A level of stubbornness and absolutistic "knowing" that this cannot change that I am stumped by...

Any of those friends friends "coaches" in NW Chicagoland by chance?

Any of those friends friends "coaches" in NW Chicagoland by chance?

Nope, sorry. But they were originally found with online searches. It just took time to do the searches & then speak with each person to understand their approach & whether it would work well with the person's temperament.

Nope, sorry. But they were originally found with online searches. It just took time to do the searches & then speak with each person to understand their approach & whether it would work well with the person's temperament.

Thanks. Likely good advice.

I never heard of such abuse in a swimming instructor, and I have been around a lot longer than you.
Heaving kids into the water still goes on, and it happens on the Llano. When I worked at the Texas Tech swimming pool, we used to get terrified kids who'd been to one of the local "swim schools," where they'd been chucked off the diving board and into the deep end.

3 years ago we went to a local swim school looking for a class for our 3 year old grandson who was very afraid of putting his face in water. As we were talking to them we watched a student run crying from the pool and hide in a bath room. I asked if they tossed them in. They said yes if they did not get in on their own. We left the place. Got him a private instructor. She promised to never let go in deeper water. She did. Claimed she did not but I saw here. Grandson lost all faith in her. So I spent a lot of time in the water with him letting him gradually progress on his own. Got him a little scuba mask. Once he looked under water he said it was beautiful. Became a wading snorkler. Got him with some instructors who let him go at his own pace. He is now 6 and loves the water. Spends more time under it than above it. My experience is that the behavior you mention not only exists but is the practice at some large swim schools. If kid swims they get credit. If student panics then they quit lessons and the instructor does not have to bother with a student that takes lots of times I am definitely not saying that all instructors are like that. Have had great experience with some of the local HS students. Just saying that it is not unheard of.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom