Tourist class leads to death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverBoyEd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A few years back a group of us went on a three Royal Caribbean cruise which stopped at their private island on the last day. As we sat on the beach I watched a small class of about 12 people going through what looked like a familiarization on how to use the scuba gear. I turned to my wife and friends and commented on how terrible that was.

After about 15 minutes a rescue diver pulled up on the beach within 10 feet of me with an unconscious female from the class. The unthinkable had happened, she drowned. My three page letter to Royal Caribbean was quickly answered.

My letter no only addressed the dangers of such a 10 minute class, but the lack of trained medical personnel as well.

My advice has always been when diving: Be prepared, be trained and be ready. Don't rely on some one else to have the training. I am fortunate to have the training provided by my law enforcement agency regarding emergency medical first responder. But if you are not trained in basic first aid and CPR, you should be if you are planning on diving.

Lucky for me, my wife is CPR trained and has been a trainer.. She used to be a lifeguard..

Unlucky for her, I only took the class in highschool and really dont care much about life saving..
I would try my damndest for her or our kids tho! Just not going to be the "hero" for anyone else..
Too many liability suits these days to make it worthwile..

Thanks for the post.. I think I will talk to the wife tonight about going over some basics with me and the kids.

Unlucky for her, I only took the class in highschool and really dont care much about life saving..
I would try my damndest for her or our kids tho! Just not going to be the "hero" for anyone else..

Thanks for the post.. I think I will talk to the wife tonight about going over some basics with me and the kids.

You should really consider taking the class. You can always choose not to use your skills in the event of an emergency you don't feel comfortable with - but if you have the skills you will be far better prepared to save your wife or children.

(FYI: The risk of liability is virtually non-existent. I am not aware of any state that does not have a Good Samaritan law to protect volunteer rescuers. That doesn't mean you can't be sued - just that you are virtually guaranteed to win the suit AND any lawyer worth his or her salt should refuse to take the case against you in the first place.)

After everything negative that I have heard about cruises in the media (the things that the cruise companies don't like you to know), I doubt I'd ever take a cruise, much less let anyone I know take an intro class through them!

Conneticut does not have one. That's the state where the guy got hit by a car and there's a video of people just walking by him. Sick basturds.
Don't know about a video but...Conn does have The Good Samaritan Law (CGS § 52-557b) provides immunity from civil damages for acts of ordinary negligence in connection with the rendering of emergency medical service by specified individuals under certain circumstances. The immunity does not apply to gross, willful, or wanton negligence.

The immunity does not apply to gross, willful, or wanton negligence.

Nor should it. If all you know how to do just make the phone call.

Keep in mind too, that you need consent before "scrubbing in". If it is a kid, an unconcious victim or someome with obvious mental illness it should be implied, otherwise do touch without permission.

Psychocabbage, having not taken the class in a while, how much help would you be to your wife or children? It's one day, 100$, hopefully you never need it, but if you do...

Don't know about a video but...Conn does have The Good Samaritan Law (CGS § 52-557b)

Here's a link to the Good Samaritan Law in all 50 states (I didn't review the list for accuracy or how up to date it is, but every state appears to have at least one relevant law - a starting point for research for anyone concerned about it).

EMS, CPR, AED Legal Database - case law

Lucky for me, my wife is CPR trained and has been a trainer.. She used to be a lifeguard..

I'll have to make a mental note not to be diving around you with that attitude.

Had a good friend who worked for the Maritime Commission (they are responsible for regulations etc dealing with ships comming and going from US waters). He told me he would never go on a Cruise ship for a lot of reasons. The most serious of which was that they didn't have anything close to adequate training or response planning for emegencies and the way the crew is paid and the conditions they work in it's not a job that leads to the best and brightest in a lot of cases (Capts and officers are usually good, rest are suspect). Most cruise ships are flagged outside the US because meeting US standards costs way too much money (not to say that all those standards or proving compliance is correct, but conceptually that fact is telling to me).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom