Tourist class leads to death

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

really don't care much about life saving... just not going to be the "hero" for anyone else.

I'll have to make a mental note not to be diving around you with that attitude.

Perhaps he can get one of those medic-alert bracelets and have "Don't bother; I wouldn't for you" engraved on it.

Had a good friend who worked for the Maritime Commission (they are responsible for regulations etc dealing with ships comming and going from US waters). He told me he would never go on a Cruise ship for a lot of reasons. The most serious of which was that they didn't have anything close to adequate training or response planning for emegencies and the way the crew is paid and the conditions they work in it's not a job that leads to the best and brightest in a lot of cases (Capts and officers are usually good, rest are suspect). Most cruise ships are flagged outside the US because meeting US standards costs way too much money (not to say that all those standards or proving compliance is correct, but conceptually that fact is telling to me).

Very strange???? Under International Maritime Law all crew members need to have a basic firefighting, Basic life saving and basic survival training. Ships Officers need further advanced training, Ships register in Flagged states like Panama, Liberia etc as the fees are yes cheaper but this is related to ships compliance surveys - not training

But like anything you pay money for check it out first to see if you get value for money, and they meet the standards you are looking for.

I guess by this statement you would never do a Live-aboard cruise either

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom