Tougher Standards?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WetPup, my tuppence...

This issue is a snowflake in a snowstorm. Here is the real problem: The Current State of Head and Neck Injuries in Extreme Sports
Your country/continent was founded by a rougher sort, No? I would avoid providing any foothold for those who prefer a nanny state.

We live in a nanny state already...Nobody wants to take personal responsibility for anything, so the government thinks it can regulate the problems away.

WE are the government at its most fundamental level. Government begins when people get together to effect change. It goes up in layers, but it is bottom-fed.

"Somebody should do something", to me, is a keyphrase for not being bought into the solution...

We live in a nanny state already...Nobody wants to take personal responsibility for anything, so the government thinks it can regulate the problems away.
sucks to live down under...

How are you going to regulate snorkeling? It's not like there's a c-card for that.

Queensland also has such laws which come under Workplace Health & Safety. But the way they're written, it's more regulations for how commercial operators need to meet certain minimum standards in terms of staff training, crew on the boat, lookouts etc. The regulations are intended for the companies operating the trips, not for the snorkellers themselves.

The only thing that could apply really is the following: Are snorkelers given medical advice including advice about strenuous activities, certain at risk medical conditions and to tell workers about medical conditions?

Which is about liability for the operator and covering their own behinds.

However, as experienced divers, I'm sure we've all known someone who has blatantly lied on the liability paperwork about their health at some point.

what changes could the tourism industry want? any change that increases training or cost would also reduce demand which would hurt the industry.

I'm going to sound like a broken record but back to my favorite topic of yearly hydros in Australia. Other than hydro testing stations getting extra buisness everyone else loses out, extra cost for consumers getting tanks tested, shops less sell tanks because less people want to deal with that, shops that rent tanks then have to pay to get there own tanks tested, shops miss out of money from conducting yearly visual inspections instead of hydros.

so for no added safety almost everyone loses out, now they want to regulate snorkling which is effectively swimming in the ocean. Nanny state indeed.....

According to the article, it's the Australian Underwater Federation (government-recognised body for amateur underwater activities) who are calling for the regulations. Not the tourism industry. The tourism industry will simply be the ones who cop the new regulations and then jack up the already obscene costs because compliance just got more expensive...Again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom