total rip off....Batteries

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It would suck more if the fuel consumption was not even close to advertised. I don't think most folks planed for another thousand dollars I'm batteries in short order (which is entirely possible with the blue ones).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The newer Liquivision computers take a somewhat odd size of battery that has evolved a bit from the original. The early batteries that fit into the black battery holder were a smaller form factor and had less capacity. The current form factor is basically 17335 for primary cells or 16340 for rechargables. However not all 16340 batteries are the same length. Those with internal protection PCBs are too long to fit in the white holder. This also rules out any CR123 or RCR123 batteries, which is somewhat unfortunate, as they can be easily purchased in many stores.

The advantage to the blue primary cells (17335) is their long shelf life. I keep a couple with me in case my rechargables fail. I currently have two sets of IMR 16340 cells, keeping one set charged while the other set power my Kaon and Xen computers. The advantage of the IMR cells is that they use a safe chemistry and don't require the protection PCB. While their rated capacity (550 mAh) is somewhat less than other rechargables, their lower internal impedance and high current capability give them a more stable operating voltage while in use. They come out of the charger at about 4.2 Volts, and I recharge them when they reach 3.7 V. My computer is configured for the green cells, and I have it display the voltage for battery status.

Will a standard CRP123 power the Xen bottom timers? Looks like the same spec's from the batteries I have here for a few camera's/lights. I'm looking at buying one, but I am not a huge fan of the costs of the proprietary batteries. I can buy 24 quality (surefire batteries) for less then their cost of three.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom