Total Newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just as a point of continuing education, my recommendation would be to dive recreational tables for a couple of years prior to purchasing a computer. There are tables available for air, 32% and 36% oxygen, etc. Use of the tables will not only assist you in learning the repetitive dive groupings, but allow you to calculate and plan your dive beforehand, rather than blindly following what pops up on your computer screen. I'd spend my money on a good regulator, wet suit and/or buoyancy control devise, prior to a computer.
Thanks, that was my thought too and I will still be doing that because it's just my nature. I have an eRDPml on my phone and tablet. I've also tried to find just plain dive tables with no success (I hate buying stuff online).

I guess the biggest reason for getting a computer was to time safety stops. I thought of just a watch, but the cost is pretty high for just a watch. And then I will be diving a lot in Roatan which has a ton of multi-level dives. I also like the idea of not having to write stuff down to log dives :wink:

just google the dive tables, you can find the padi, iantd, naui, navy, noaa, etc online, just print and laminate if you want to take them with you, but understand why they are all different and when you would use each one if you choose to dive tables. Computers are safer now, especially the ones that you can tailor the gradient factors to your personal conservatism, but for NDL diving they'll all be fairly close. Even for NDL diving though, being able to choose what theoretical tissue loading you want to surface at is nice. I.e. the USN tables are close to 100% tissue loading, hence the safety stops, it's technically a short decompression stop that you really shouldn't blow. NAUI chose to stop their tables one step short of the USN tables for extra conservatism, but with a computer like the Perdix, you can say ok, I don't want to surface with 95% or 90% theoretical loading, I want to surface with 70%, or 80% theoretical loading, and you can do that quite easily

I recommend you get a computer. For a fairly new diver diving tables, you will likely run into some problems in the Caribbean region. It's probably expected you're going to buddy dive. Diving tables generally assumes you will spend the entire dive at your planned max. depth. If you don't have the table with you underwater, and decide to drop down 15 feet deeper than that to get a look at the really big hawksbill sea turtle eating a sponge, oops!

But the real problem is that most people will be diving computers, and nobody likes their computer-determined dive time cut considerably shorter because their buddy is diving tables. This leads to the temptation to dive with your buddy, relying on his/her computer, which is frowned upon in the hobby. So unless you've got a tables-fan buddy who'll be with you on trips, get a computer.

Whether & to what extent Suunto's are 'too conservative' has been debated strongly on varied threads. Historically some have reported it varies with the kind of diving you do, with Suunto's allegedly 'not liking' saw-toothed profiles (a lot of up & down). I don't see any major advantage to getting one, and some consider there to be a disadvantage, so I'd get something else.

Okay, here's a question that has come up before - "If I may comment about Suunto's. I'm really not sure why everyone is so against conservatism."

And it's got an answer!

1.) A liberal computer gives you a 'generous' NDL. You have the freedom to come up well in advance of it, or you can decide to push it.

2.) As long as you don't exceed your computer's NDL, when you get back on the dive boat, the dive boat staff (who often pay some attention to such things) will not stop you from doing further dives that day.

3.) If you do exceed the NDL, your computer may sound an alarm, show a violation, and back on the dive boat, staff might prohibit you from diving ('bench' you) for some period of time.

4.) With a conservative computer, you've got a shorter NDL and you're more likely to violate it & trigger an alarm, especially if you're diving with a group or buddy with more liberal computer(s).

In brief, a more conservative computer makes you get out of the water faster, and a more liberal computer leaves more to your discretion, so exercise that discretion in how you use it - level of exertion, water temp., physical condition, etc...

Richard.

P.S.: While a lot of diving is gas supply limited, some areas feature a lot of deeper diving that's more likely to be NDL-limited; particularly off-shore wreck diving out of North Carolina, but also drift diving out of Jupiter, Florida, in my experience.

the more concerning thing with the conservative computers is the 24 hour lockout if you violate various parameters.... Those aren't cool

It's literally the worst thing ever. OP should try and get a computer that does not lock you out. I unfortunately do not know of any really (besides my petrel2/perdix) but those are pricey.

At the beginning you will likely run out of air before you hit your NDL. At least that has been my experience on most dives.
As a petite female chances are she will be an air sipper naturally.

As a petite female chances are she will be an air sipper naturally.
Yeah I thought of that when she replied. It's also likely she's in better shape than me

Katie, like the BCD question, we can give you a little more personal advice if you tell us a bit more about your planned dives and what features you would like in a DC. There is a lot more to dive computers then just the algorithm.

Back
Top Bottom