Torque wrenches for regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BTW, when using a torque adapter, such as a crows foot wrench or any extension on a torque wrench, in lieu of the math, simply set the extension to 90 degrees to the axis of the wrench. Then the torque applied will be the same as set on the wrench.

N

Also if you were to use a torque wrench make sure you are using in-lbs and not ft-lbs. Most 3/8" torque wrenches are in ft-lbs.

BTW, when using a torque adapter, such as a crows foot wrench or any extension on a torque wrench, in lieu of the math, simply set the extension to 90 degrees to the axis of the wrench. Then the torque applied will be the same as set on the wrench.

N

You sure about this? I've never heard that.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

If you ever really want to get a torque wrench, this is the one we use:

3/8" Drive Dial Torque Wrench

It will work in foot pounds and newton meters. All basis covered, and you get to spend close to $200

Chip chip cheerio mate, have a bloody gu'd dive guvna (I can do accents if I want)

Physics 101. right angle offset OK as long as long as torque arm length is same.

---------- Post added January 22nd, 2015 at 08:58 PM ----------

If you ever really want to get a torque wrench, this is the one we use:

3/8" Drive Dial Torque Wrench

It will work in foot pounds and newton meters. All basis covered, and you get to spend close to $200

Chip chip cheerio mate, have a bloody gu'd dive guvna (I can do accents if I want)

For that price, you can get two perfectly adequate torque wrenches and a day or two of boat dives.

Absolutely, do the math and you will see. I spent much time working on jet engines, mistakes can cost as much as a nice house, I know what I am doing. A 3/8 wrench is not correct for this range of torque, you would want a 1/4 wrench that works in the range of oh, maybe 20 to 120 in/lb or even 0-80 in/lb. It is best that you are working in the middle range of the wrench.

Extensions are funny things, there are a few times it is need to work the extension under the wrench 180 degrees, figure that one and then do it at a right angle and then straight out 0 degrees. If you treat all positions of an extension all the same, your applied torque will be in error, it only reads same as the dial at 90 degrees.

I am not agreeing in this case with AWAP, lol, money spent on quality USA/German/Japanese tools is never a waste.

N

Back
Top Bottom