Torpedo Ray at Folly Cove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KapitanSparrow

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A little video of the elusive Folly Cove torpedo ray. I waited the whole summer to finally see it ;-) Then I saw a second torpedo ray at Loblolly Point on Monday, September 2, 2013. Filmed on location during the Labor Dive Weekend on Saturday, August 31, 2013.

[video=youtube_share;DlrCJyRQ56A]http://youtu.be/DlrCJyRQ56A[/video]

Nice!

Amazing! Please describe how you got that shot where it goes over the camera. GoPro? Was it mounted on something? It doesn't even make sense!

Thanks guys. I raced ahead of the ray, placed the GoPro in the sand and moved away. The ray passed over it. Then I did it two more times. It headed for deeper water and stopped at about 65 ft. We were low on air by then so we headed back to shore.

Am I the only one who flashed back to the opening scene from Star Wars? Very nice shot.

More kudos for the "undercarriage" shot. I was watching it thinking "holy crap....he's letting the thing swim right over him" before realizing you must have placed the camera in front of him. Thanks a lot for sharing. You can really get a sense of how big it was with your buddy in some of the shots.

That was really cool. I live rays. When I went to Pemba Island, Africa we saw a ton of different rays, including Sting Rays. Loved how you got that shot!

that was an awesome shot with the Go Pro set in the sand! I have captured some cool video, by setting the rig down in the sand, but that was better.

Is anyone else afraid of those rays, the first fatal dive accident I have been involved in occurred in an area where a very large one had been hanging out. I always wondered if it had shocked the diver and that is what killed him..

Am I the only one who flashed back to the opening scene from Star Wars? Very nice shot.

I had actually set this video to a track from Star Wars Return of the Jedi, but I had this weird ticking noise appear each time I uploaded it to youtube. I had almost lost the vid after GoPro ruined the memory card. There is an issue with 64gb SanDisk cards. I have spent 3 nights and $150 on getting my videos recovered. I lost some, but this precious jewel I finally got back on the third night. Glad I could share it. ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom