Torn between worlds.. Photo or Video - Why not both?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ameri180304

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a Nikon D3000 DSLR. I love my above water pictures, and have yet to buy any housings. MY camera doesnt record video. I'm contemplating selling it for a nice camera that does both, but I want interchangable lenses.

Any DSLR camera's out there that do both?

I was contemplating the Canon SX1 but fear my photos wont be the same as my Nikon. Any ideas?

Any high end Canon will meet your needs, 5d, 7d, new 60d all shoot 18mp and 1080i hd. I use the T2i which is basically the same as the 7d and shoots 18mp, RAW and 1080i hd. I was an Olympus guy for ever until talking to professional photographers who explained in detail the differences between Canon and Olympus. The Canon 5D Mark II shoots such quality video it is used to shot "House" and "Saturday Night Live". I don't know if you have seen the video of the Manta taking the Camera, that was shot with a 7D in an Ikelite Modular Housing. I was on that trip.
I was leaning towards the Oly ELP-1 with housing ($1200) but went with the Canon as it has a bigger processor, more lens choices, more housing choices, and shoots 1080i vs 720p. Camera ran $900, housing with ports $1600. Uses many different lens and housings. I went with Ikelite because I already have 2 Ikelite strobes and want to shoot TTL.
This is s big expensive decision hope this helps.

The Nikons will of course do this as well. The D90 introduced the idea of video in SLRs, and several mid- high-end models since have included it.

I think Nikon just released the successor to your 3000, the 3100, which...does video.

Thank you all for your help. I was contemplatnig the T2i. I suppose I'll be putting this brand new D3000 Nikon on ebay in the next few days and put that $$$ towards somewithing with both high def pictures and video (probably canon).

Back
Top Bottom